The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

Post by NickF »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 pm
StuartL wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 pm
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm
not bothered by the mhikitarian bloke but excited about the possibility of aubameyang, of course that sounds like a very outlandish, left field totally unarsenal signing but i can't help but hope.

of course this is just one step forward two steps back either way, i'm starting to realise how sad i am about sanchez going, been seing rt's of when sanchez first made an appearance at the bowl for us in the emirates cup, the excitement, the anticipation and then his entry onto the pitch. mate, so sad it ended up like this :cry:

seeing grown men on the net calling him a dog nonce cuz he wants out as well :roll: :lol:

nice to see our fans have adjusted well to seeing our players leave, fucking hell it wasn't long ago i heard kieron fucking gibbs getting booed playing for west brom. do we have the ultimate abandoment issue fanbase or what? :oops: :lol:
We used to have a very good tradition and reputation for welcoming back old players who had served us well, can only recall Stapleton getting abuse till the modern fans came along and boo like it a pantomime ( to be fair it often is)
The reception the likes of Cole, Fabregas and RvP have received has been ridiculous. They all recognised a manager who had no ambition and made sensible career moves. This served to take the heat off Wenger. No doubt they will boo Sanchez when he comes back with United. Twats.
I could agree with Fabregas and RvP but Ca$hley left in 2006 and we weren't in terminal decline at that point. His was all about how much money he could get.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 pm
Tbh Theo wasn't good enough for us but i sometimes wonder with the right manager and coaches how good he could have been. Anyway good luck to him and it will be interesting to see how he gets on under fat Sam, i expect he'll get consistent game time if nothing else due to their lack of strikers up there.

The injury proneness is a valid point too, you look at some of the players we've had over the years who have suffered injury after injury and then reoccurance of the injury and it begs serious questions of our training and coaching, there is also a major question mark over our medical team as well and i wonder if with all the changes behind the scenes whether someone will eventually ask questions about them too
Not good enough for us? When he was a regular starter we never finished outside the top 4. He played 63mins in the league this season and we're 6th. This season he has played in league cup and Europa League and we finished top of the group and we've got to the semi final of the league cup. It's not all down to him, and yes, he had a stinker at forest, but when you consider Iwobi is his regular replacement in the first team you're seriously not looking at his stats, just following the crowd. Given that he wasn't coached rarely got an opportunity to play in the role that brought him to us, and hasn't got to the levels we expected, he still scored 1 in 4 games from the wing. Over 12 years how many wingers have got those numbers in the premier league? It was time for him to move and I wish him well at Everton.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Walcott leaving is not Wenger's idea.

Swapping mkhytariyan for Sanchez is not Wenger's idea.

Signing Aubamayang is not Wenger's idea.

Signing the "Greek boy" was not Wenger's idea.

See where this is going?
The club has taken transfers away from him as he's ran out of ideas.
It's a matter of time.

On a personal thought can't see how mkhytariyan is a direct replacement for Sanchez? Ozil or Jack yes, but not Sanchez.
We still need a defender.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tbh Theo wasn't good enough for us but i sometimes wonder with the right manager and coaches how good he could have been. Anyway good luck to him and it will be interesting to see how he gets on under fat Sam, i expect he'll get consistent game time if nothing else due to their lack of strikers up there.

The injury proneness is a valid point too, you look at some of the players we've had over the years who have suffered injury after injury and then reoccurance of the injury and it begs serious questions of our training and coaching, there is also a major question mark over our medical team as well and i wonder if with all the changes behind the scenes whether someone will eventually ask questions about them too
Not good enough for us? When he was a regular starter we never finished outside the top 4. He played 63mins in the league this season and we're 6th. This season he has played in league cup and Europa League and we finished top of the group and we've got to the semi final of the league cup. It's not all down to him, and yes, he had a stinker at forest, but when you consider Iwobi is his regular replacement in the first team you're seriously not looking at his stats, just following the crowd. Given that he wasn't coached rarely got an opportunity to play in the role that brought him to us, and hasn't got to the levels we expected, he still scored 1 in 4 games from the wing. Over 12 years how many wingers have got those numbers in the premier league? It was time for him to move and I wish him well at Everton.
Sorry mate 'The Boy Wonder' is and always has been shit. Maybe he should have been a professional sprinter instead - oh no wait - he wouldn't get some poor fucking club like ours paying him fucking heaps for doing fuck all. See how he goes as captain in the championship with Everton. He probably wont even get in the team. But on a lighter note "good luck to him" & "thanks for fuck all". :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

You have soooo many straw man arguements there that I hardly know where to start -

1. The fact that an even shittier player (iwobi) is being used as his replacement, does not make wally good enough

2. The fact that we never finished outside the top 4 with him as a regular starter certainly does not make him good enough - almunia was our first choice keeper during that time, so does that mean that he was a good keeper ? We finished top of a europa league group that my local sunday league would win :roll: Yes we have reached the semi's of the league cup, but we hardly beat the cream of english football (doncaster, norwich and the shammers) in that run - seeing as you want us to look at stats, I will point out to you that wally scored a meagre 1 goal in that run and it was against doncaster :oops: :oops:

I have been a long term critic of wally - I believe that you can make a valid argument about the lack of coaching contributing to the lack of development in our young players, but tbh I'm not sure that applies to wally. When the ox came into the team he had pace and power and could dribble past players, but wally's game plan was always to get the ball past the defender and run after it - when that is your basic starting point, I'm not sure if all the coaching in the world could make him a good footballer.

augie

Post by augie »

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/footbal ... spartandhp

Any chance that he could also have a word with giroud, monreal, cech, wellshit and iwobi ?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
not bothered by the mhikitarian bloke but excited about the possibility of aubameyang, of course that sounds like a very outlandish, left field totally unarsenal signing but i can't help but hope.

of course this is just one step forward two steps back either way, i'm starting to realise how sad i am about sanchez going, been seing rt's of when sanchez first made an appearance at the bowl for us in the emirates cup, the excitement, the anticipation and then his entry onto the pitch. mate, so sad it ended up like this :cry:

seeing grown men on the net calling him a dog nonce cuz he wants out as well :roll: :lol:

nice to see our fans have adjusted well to seeing our players leave, fucking hell it wasn't long ago i heard kieron fucking gibbs getting booed playing for west brom. do we have the ultimate abandoment issue fanbase or what? :oops: :lol:
We used to have a very good tradition and reputation for welcoming back old players who had served us well, can only recall Stapleton getting abuse till the modern fans came along and boo like it a pantomime ( to be fair it often is)
The reception the likes of Cole, Fabregas and RvP have received has been ridiculous. They all recognised a manager who had no ambition and made sensible career moves. This served to take the heat off Wenger. No doubt they will boo Sanchez when he comes back with United. Twats.
Ashley Cole? He didn’t recognise Wenger had no ambition. He wanted more money. We got our fingers burned for trying to fuck him around but let’s not pretend he was some sort of visionary who saw back in early 2005 that Wenger was a busted flush rather than simply going for the money.

No player of ours in modern times has deserved to get more stick and it’s a bit sad if your hatred of Wenger somehow alters that reality.

augie

Post by augie »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... t-ham-loan

Have to say that he was a midfielder that impressed me a lot when portugal won the euro's 2 years ago - so many good players are available these days without the need to pay a kings ransom

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:30 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

Ashley Cole? He didn’t recognise Wenger had no ambition. He wanted more money. We got our fingers burned for trying to fuck him around but let’s not pretend he was some sort of visionary who saw back in early 2005 that Wenger was a busted flush rather than simply going for the money.

No player of ours in modern times has deserved to get more stick and it’s a bit sad if your hatred of Wenger somehow alters that reality.
Absolutely 100% bang on the phone molesting little cúnt's head there. 8)

Also, this modern phenomenon of booing ex-players is not an Arsenal thing, it's a "modern football fan" thing. It happens just as much at every other club.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Walcott should have been moved on years ago. He only scored double digits 4 times in 13 years, and thats all competitions which is shit, considering almost 50 games is played in a season . Goals are not everything, but he didnt offer anything else in terms of work ethic or passing ability. He was limited in ability and range, and only had one trick (pace).

I alaways knew when he did eventually leave, it would be for an Everton/West Ham/Newcastle type club. Contrast to Ox who had City and Liverpool willing yo pay 40m for him. Walcotts lack of suitors in his entire career should have served as a warning sign, yet we kept him on, loading him on big contract after contract. Big Sam bailed us out. Paying 25m for a player whose only attribute is pace when he is approaching 30 is madness. Although it was us who kept him for 12 years anticipating his reaching of his potential

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 pm
:roll:

Talking of that lazy git Ozil, where the fuck is he?

He plays when he wants, he plays when he wants, the little fucker!, he plays when he wants...,
:barscarf: :lol:

:rubchin:

hmmm... :rubchin:

Methinks he's been busy quietly creating chances for the utter shit in front of him... just a pity he can't add the pointlessly running around like Robbie Savage "ability" to his skill set huh? :lol:

Oh, look - just gonna drop this in here;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... tri-payet/

The lazy bastard... :lol:

:wink: :wink:

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 am
Allgunsblazin wrote:

He plays when he wants, he plays when he wants, the little fucker!, he plays when he wants...,

Methinks he's been busy quietly creating chances for the utter shit in front of him... just a pity he can't add the pointlessly running around like Robbie Savage "ability" to his skill set huh? :lol:

Looks like Payet has been creating himself lots of big dinners too judging by that picture!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Kingralph wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:40 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 am
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Looks like Payet has been creating himself lots of big dinners too judging by that picture!
:lol: :lol:

Certainly looks like he's been on the cheeseburgers. :D

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 am
northbank123 wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

Also, this modern phenomenon of booing ex-players is not an Arsenal thing, it's a "modern football fan" thing. It happens just as much at every other club.
Let's get this straight: I am no lover of Ashley Cole, but let's look where the blame really lay over his departure. He was greedy for money, sure, many players are and bears still shit in the woods. But by the time he left the team was in sharp decline, and he was not only a world class player but one of the few invincibles with a shelf life of more than a couple of years still at the club. Remember that Wenger subsequently paid many far inferior players obscene wages for years (not least the bloke we've just got rid of to Everton) compared to the £55k a week Cole was offered and rejected in favour of what Chelsea were prepared to pay him

It's also fair to say that by the time he left the team were already in sharp decline. The run to the Champions' League Final largely disguised this. We scraped into fourth spot that year because of Spurs's food poisoning nightmare on the last day (haha). Vieira had left, Dennis was finishing, Sol was becoming a shadow of the rock he had been and Thierry buggered off one season later, albeit to Barca. By the time Cashley left we were already becoming a selling clulb with no ambition - Chelsea clearly had plenty.

So I repeat, I am no great lover of Cashley, but nor do I "hate" him for deciding not to take the offer on the table from Arsenal under the circumstances. He was a professional, and if he'd stayed under Wenger he would have been dragged down with him.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:42 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 am
northbank123 wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Let's get this straight: I am no lover of Ashley Cole, but let's look where the blame really lay over his departure. He was greedy for money, sure, many players are and bears still shit in the woods. But by the time he left he was not only a world class player with ambition but one of the few invincibles with a shelf life of more than a couple of years still at the club. It's fair to say that by the time he left the team were already in sharp decline. The run to the Champions' League Final largely disguised this. We scraped into fourth spot that year because of Spurs's food poisoning nightmare on the last day (haha). Vieira had left, Dennis was finishing, Sol was becoming a shadow of the rock he had been and Thierry buggered off one season later, albeit to Barca. By the time Cashley left we were already becoming a selling club with no ambition - Chelsea clearly had plenty.

Remember too that Wenger subsequently paid many far inferior players obscene wages for years (not least the bloke we've just got rid of to Everton) compared to the £55k a week Cole was offered and rejected in favour of what Chelsea were prepared to pay him. Our socialist wage structure was Wenger's doing.

So I repeat, I am no great lover of Cashley, but nor do I "hate" him for deciding not to take the offer on the table from Arsenal under the circumstances. He was a professional, and if he'd stayed under Wenger he would have been dragged down with him.