The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

nut flush gooner

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by nut flush gooner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:22 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 am
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:04 pm
Ere we go, Obamanesque statement from another major ELITIST, my life already!....

Brexit: Goldman Sachs chief Lloyd Blankfein suggests second vote
Here we go back to the fashionable elitist claptrap. Nigel Farage should copyright that word, he'd make a fortune.

One thing I have never seen before is a reference to a black US president in the same sentence. Given America's history it does seem just a tad out of context imo.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Obama (like all US politicians) is part of the political and social elite. He was born to mixed race parents in Hawaii, hardly a street kid from South Central LA, his dad was a Kenyan senior government economist, his mom was an anthropologist, and he attended a private college preparatory school and both Columbia University and Harvard Law School... Socially and even culturally he is not widely accepted as being "black" (with everything that word can entail in the US) by a lot of the poor black people in that country.
Absolutely, Elitism is half of the troubles on this globe and Lloyd should fuck off to Frankfurt as he keeps threatening!...
I think you need a reality check with regards to Lloyd.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Ere we go, Obamanesque statement from another major ELITIST, my life already!....

Here we go back to the fashionable elitist claptrap. Nigel Farage should copyright that word, he'd make a fortune.

One thing I have never seen before is a reference to a black US president in the same sentence. Given America's history it does seem just a tad out of context imo.
Let's not lose sight of the fact that Obama (like all US politicians) is part of the political and social elite. He was born to mixed race parents in Hawaii, hardly a street kid from South Central LA, his dad was a Kenyan senior government economist, his mom was an anthropologist, and he attended a private college preparatory school and both Columbia University and Harvard Law School... Socially and even culturally he is not widely accepted as being "black" (with everything that word can entail in the US) by a lot of the poor black people in that country.
WTF!!! How does that make him part of the elite this is hilarious. Just because your parents are educated and have professional jobs, then send you to a private school that doesn't make you part of the elite.

One of my best friends is an accountant has one son, sent him to private school and then onto the London School of Economics. Both parents despite being in better than average paid jobs where positively skint for the duration of his education. Does that make him or them part of the "elite" or just wanting to better themselves. Somehow I don't think so.

So Obama was brought up in Hawaii, it's hardly the most wealthy part of the USA is it.
Typically, you read one line and then lose your shit without reading the full post or looking at the context. :roll: :lol:

I am refering to Obama, no one else. What that has to do with your friend is beyond me. This myth that Obama is a true "black president, representative of the majority of black Americans" is just that, a myth. He's as dyed in the wool a political elite as any other senior politician in the States.

As for your comment in red - It certainly does make you part of the elite if you then go into politics in the USA.

As many black voters and commentators (rightly or wrongly) abhor Obama as a "race traitor", as adore him for being the country's first "black president". Cornel West, a black philosopher, has called Obama “a Rockefeller Republican in blackface, a president more interested in Wall Street and drone strikes than the needs of black America".

Obama is not truly representative of the "Black Experience" in the USA, as terrible as that often has been, but he is certainly representative of the "elite experience".

nut flush gooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

WTF!!! How does that make him part of the elite this is hilarious. Just because your parents are educated and have professional jobs, then send you to a private school that doesn't make you part of the elite.

One of my best friends is an accountant has one son, sent him to private school and then onto the London School of Economics. Both parents despite being in better than average paid jobs where positively skint for the duration of his education. Does that make him or them part of the "elite" or just wanting to better themselves. Somehow I don't think so.

So Obama was brought up in Hawaii, it's hardly the most wealthy part of the USA is it.
Typically, you read one line and then lose your shit without reading the full post or looking at the context. :roll: :lol:

I am refering to Obama, no one else. What that has to do with your friend is beyond me. This myth that Obama is a true "black president, representative of the majority of black Americans" is just that, a myth. He's as dyed in the wool a political elite as any other senior politician in the States.

As for your comment in red - It certainly does make you part of the elite if you then go into politics in the USA.

As many black voters and commentators (rightly or wrongly) abhor Obama as a "race traitor", as adore him for being the country's first "black president". Cornel West, a black philosopher, has called Obama “a Rockefeller Republican in blackface, a president more interested in Wall Street and drone strikes than the needs of black America".

Obama is not truly representative of the "Black Experience" in the USA, as terrible as that often has been, but he is certainly representative of the "elite experience".
100% disagree with you. The "elite" are a privileged group of people who through generations of their families have benefited from getting a head start in life. Private education is a given, not a luxury. How can you say that is the case with Obama?

Whether he represents black people is irrelevant, it was his broader appeal that took him to the white house. That in itself is no bad thing. Obama will go down as one of the great presidents in my opinion. The democrats' problem was they couldn't find anyone credible enough to succeed him, and that just played into Trump's hands. And boy what a great job he is doing right now.

So going by your logic both Trump and Farage are also elites? In Farage's case he certainly qualifies, private schooling and early career as a commodities trader.

More importantly, how do you feel that all the work that went into the Good Friday agreement could be undone by a potential reunification of NI and the Republic. I get the feeling that quite a lot of people in the ROI are not one single bit happy with brexit.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 am
Allgunsblazin wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Absolutely, Elitism is half of the troubles on this globe and Lloyd should fuck off to Frankfurt as he keeps threatening!...
I think you need a reality check on your state of mind, Meerkat cannot form a Government and it will be back to electorate, Elitism is being smashed at the moment, would also keep a close eye on the French as there are huge rifts between Macro and the people he purports to represent...
The days of people getting their bellies tickled and rolling over have gone, it is the New Order!
Wake up and smell the gravy, Europe is a busted flush....

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

we should not be giving the EU a penny!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l#comments

nut flush gooner

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:22 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

I think you need a reality check on your state of mind, Meerkat cannot form a Government and it will be back to electorate, Elitism is being smashed at the moment, would also keep a close eye on the French as there are huge rifts between Macro and the people he purports to represent...
The days of people getting their bellies tickled and rolling over have gone, it is the New Order!

I find it quite funny how you constantly move the goalposts to suit your argument. We established last week that both Lloyd and Obama were NOT part of the elite. Neither of them has a heritage that even comes close to suggesting this.

Now with regards to Merkel, it's unlikely she will call for an election. She had a coalition government in her last term, and although she does not have an overall majority in the true sense of the word, like in the UK she can still form a minority government.

And again for the 15th time when you refer to someone as part of the elite, you really need to look up their background. Her (Merkel's) father was a Pastor and her mother was a Teacher, hardly what I would deem as being anything more than middle class.

If Merkel did make a mistake, it was opening the floodgates to over 1m refugees to swamp Germany. It has given the extreme right the ammunition it needed to make a comeback in Germany. That aside, after the reunification of East/West Germany she has turned her country into a highly prosperous nation, that absolutely pisses on the UK in terms of productivity.

There is no new order, nearly every country that potentially could have had a populist uprising this year hasn't seen one such party elected to government.

If you honestly think people like Marie Le Penn/Nigel Farage/Geert Wilders are good for Europe because they represent your narrow-minded opinions, then more fool you.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the EU is doing fine - its just that the right wing media in this country paints such a black picture of it that you hear Leavers think that it is finished :lol:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I find it quite funny how you constantly move the goalposts to suit your argument. We established last week that both Lloyd and Obama were NOT part of the elite. Neither of them has a heritage that even comes close to suggesting this.

Now with regards to Merkel, it's unlikely she will call for an election. She had a coalition government in her last term, and although she does not have an overall majority in the true sense of the word, like in the UK she can still form a minority government.

And again for the 15th time when you refer to someone as part of the elite, you really need to look up their background. Her (Merkel's) father was a Pastor and her mother was a Teacher, hardly what I would deem as being anything more than middle class.

If Merkel did make a mistake, it was opening the floodgates to over 1m refugees to swamp Germany. It has given the extreme right the ammunition it needed to make a comeback in Germany. That aside, after the reunification of East/West Germany she has turned her country into a highly prosperous nation, that absolutely pisses on the UK in terms of productivity.

There is no new order, nearly every country that potentially could have had a populist uprising this year hasn't seen one such party elected to government.

If you honestly think people like Marie Le Penn/Nigel Farage/Geert Wilders are good for Europe because they represent your narrow-minded opinions, then more fool you.

Ohhhh Barnier offering mega trade deal for more much needed cash, whose cracking now..... :lol:

nut flush gooner

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:18 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Ohhhh Barnier offering mega trade deal for more much needed cash, whose cracking now..... :lol:
Yeah the EU is really cracking, we offered them £20bn they said fuck off. It looks like the price for exiting the EU will sit at a min of £40bn. Now by my reckoning that's roughly 200 weeks worth of contributions that we make as a member state (based on bungling Boris' battle bus figure less rebates from the EU) and get tariff-free trade. The money we pay to leave the EU is no guarantee a trade deal will be ratified, only the negotiations. It will take years to come to a formal agreement.

What really bothers me is people like you who think the rise of the far right in Europe is a good thing, because that's the alternative to a tolerant society.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:09 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

100% disagree with you. The "elite" are a privileged group of people who through generations of their families have benefited from getting a head start in life. Private education is a given, not a luxury. How can you say that is the case with Obama?

Whether he represents black people is irrelevant, it was his broader appeal that took him to the white house. That in itself is no bad thing. Obama will go down as one of the great presidents in my opinion. The democrats' problem was they couldn't find anyone credible enough to succeed him, and that just played into Trump's hands. And boy what a great job he is doing right now.

So going by your logic both Trump and Farage are also elites? In Farage's case he certainly qualifies, private schooling and early career as a commodities trader.

More importantly, how do you feel that all the work that went into the Good Friday agreement could be undone by a potential reunification of NI and the Republic. I get the feeling that quite a lot of people in the ROI are not one single bit happy with brexit.
"So going by your logic both Trump and Farage are also elites? In Farage's case he certainly qualifies, private schooling and early career as a commodities trader."

Reads as;

"You are totally 100% wrong in everything, except for that bit where you are right!"

:coffeespit:

Sorry I simply cannot be bothered getting into this past saying you have an antiquated class-based British view of what the "elite" is. The elite nowadays in the broader world are the likes of the Trump's, Obama's, Clinton's and Bush's of the US political system. Not elite by class or birth, but elite by financial clout and political power. The 1850's are over, man - let them go. :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

what the Brexiteers can't accept is the only people who will benefit from Brexit are the wealthy elite!!!

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-vote- ... f-11135493

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

oh dear it looks like the EU have taken back control.
and those poor little Leavers thought that Brexit would mean the UK was going to take back control :lol: :lol:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... ck-control

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:09 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

"So going by your logic both Trump and Farage are also elites? In Farage's case he certainly qualifies, private schooling and early career as a commodities trader."

Reads as;

"You are totally 100% wrong in everything, except for that bit where you are right!"

:coffeespit:

Sorry I simply cannot be bothered getting into this past saying you have an antiquated class-based British view of what the "elite" is. The elite nowadays in the broader world are the likes of the Trump's, Obama's, Clinton's and Bush's of the US political system. Not elite by class or birth, but elite by financial clout and political power. The 1850's are over, man - let them go. :lol:
Listen to yer man, the only Presidents with Blue Collar backgrounds (look that one up remoaners! :lol: ) were the Feckin Kennedy's and guess what they were fucking gunned down by Elitist WASP's who could not stomach Catholocism!...

And just in case you thought it was your fail safe scapegoats the Russians, think again....
Did we ever get the full low down on it!
Did we fuck!.... :tricolour:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

"" That aside, after the reunification of East/West Germany she has turned her country into a highly prosperous nation, that absolutely pisses on the UK in terms of productivity. ""

And there you have the reason for the people that you do not understand to vote the way they did. It's not about race as much as you might wish to portray it. It's about jobs and personal prosperity. For far too long the banks and city traders have run the roost here and successive governments have allowed them to get strong whilst ignoring the rest of the working population . Whilst you have swathes of people working full time for salaries around £ 16,000 to £20,000 and most others on short term contracts on national minimum wage you might begin to see why they voted the way they did. There is a strong belief that the Farming community has suffered at the expense of the C.A.P and the same by the fisheries policy with British boats on a 3% rule having to chuck tons of dead fish back into the sea because they are not allowed to land them . Sea Bass for instance 400 kg per month is the maximum quota for an inshore boat. The situation highlighted here :-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... th-50.html.
The people affected by all of this see the monied ( not using the word Elite ) people protecting themselves to the detriment of everyone else.
They want to see the investment in their lives , their livelihood, their pockets , their jobs.
They want their standards protected , they don't want to see the dictats coming from somewhere else telling them what to grow , instead of profitable crops , grow ones like sugar beet as animal feed whilst Tate and Lyle import sugar from sugar cane fields elsewhere. Don't plant wheat and barley convert your fields to oil seed rape which is good for Bio diesel and margarine whilst we import flour from the E.U.
The list of reasons are long and varied. The E.U reduced quotas for dairy production and many of U.K dairy farms went under approx 1000 in 2016 and at the same time they struck a deal to export milk , butter and cheese to a small emerging market like " CHINA". Guess why the price of butter has doubled ( it's not Brexit ) it's Brussels.