ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

OK..... deep breath.... lads, we have been through the racism argument on here so many times. It's a minefield. I will not tolerate overt racial descrimination or racial hatred or racism in general on here. But - and it's a big but (think Kortney Kuntdashian :wink: ) - not everything is racist.

We have a fairly loose set of rules on here. We allow dodgy humour, which quite often contains racial stereotyping or racial generalisations for instance. Now, some people would call racial stereotyping "racist". Personally, I don't, so I let alot of the paddywhackery for instance go. And tbh none of my fellow Oirishmen on here have ever complained at some of the dodgy Oirish slurs and jokes that punters have posted. Because as Eddie Murphy said: "thems just jokes". :lol: :wink:

There is a line though. And certain things will get a person banned. Use of the "N" word for instance.

But it is often a subjective issue with other language that to some is racist. Augie calling Arteta a "Basque cùnt" is not racist to me. It's a tad unpleasant and uncalled for and I've often asked Augie to not do it, but it is no different or worse than calling Wenger a "French cùnt" or Lobotomy Clive a "Swiss Turd". I'd rather we all left their race or nationality out of it when we criticise them but I also don't want to go overboard and censor everything that gets posted. I mean, let's not get overly sensitive.

If anything these phrases are nationalistic rather than racist as it is an arguable point whether nationality equates to race. I should point out though that the UK Equality Act considers nationality to be included under the term "race".

So what I tend to do is look at the tone, which in itself can be difficult with the written word. If there is obvious racial based hatred or words added to incite racial hatred or violence then that is a different matter. For me that's when it becomes "racist".

Overly simplistic? Maybe. And I know some of you won't agree with that, but to make my job modding this place doable, that is the way I work. I have to try find a reasonable balance. Having said that, if you are offended by something someone has posted you can blip me a pm in complete confidence and I will take a look and if I agree I'll delete the offending words and ask the person responsible to reconsider their use of those words.

Of course all you lads could make my job that bit easier by just not referring to nationality when slating a player or manager as it does offend some people.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:24 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:00 pm
I had to smile tonight because Wet Spam have been saying they can get several players in with the money they'll get for Rice. Their primary target is Palinha of Fulham...... And Fulham have now said they want 90m for him. Can't have it both ways Spammers!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I rate Palhinha more than Rice.

Yup, me too Bob.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:27 pm
OK..... deep breath.... lads, we have been through the racism argument on here so many times. It's a minefield. I will not tolerate overt racial descrimination or racial hatred or racism in general on here. But - and it's a big but (think Kortney Kuntdashian :wink: ) - not everything is racist.

We have a fairly loose set of rules on here. We allow dodgy humour, which quite often contains racial stereotyping or racial generalisations for instance. Now, some people would call racial stereotyping "racist". Personally, I don't, so I let alot of the paddywhackery for instance go. And tbh none of my fellow Oirishmen on here have ever complained at some of the dodgy Oirish slurs and jokes that punters have posted. Because as Eddie Murphy said: "thems just jokes". :lol: :wink:

There is a line though. And certain things will get a person banned. Use of the "N" word for instance.

But it is often a subjective issue with other language that to some is racist. Augie calling Arteta a "Basque cùnt" is not racist to me. It's a tad unpleasant and uncalled for and I've often asked Augie to not do it, but it is no different or worse than calling Wenger a "French cùnt" or Lobotomy Clive a "Swiss Turd". I'd rather we all left their race or nationality out of it when we criticise them but I also don't want to go overboard and censor everything that gets posted. I mean, let's not get overly sensitive.

If anything these phrases are nationalistic rather than racist as it is an arguable point whether nationality equates to race. I should point out though that the UK Equality Act considers nationality to be included under the term "race".

So what I tend to do is look at the tone, which in itself can be difficult with the written word. If there is obvious racial based hatred or words added to incite racial hatred or violence then that is a different matter. For me that's when it becomes "racist".

Overly simplistic? Maybe. And I know some of you won't agree with that, but to make my job modding this place doable, that is the way I work. I have to try find a reasonable balance. Having said that, if you are offended by something someone has posted you can blip me a pm in complete confidence and I will take a look and if I agree I'll delete the offending words and ask the person responsible to reconsider their use of those words.

Of course all you lads could make my job that bit easier by just not referring to nationality when slating a player or manager as it does offend some people.

:barscarf: The Irish geezer makes a lot of sense...errr...I mean the Pad....err the bog hopp...the Jackeen....oh fuck!

Our esteemed Moderator makes a fair and erudite point. Top marks.

:tricolour:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

If everyone just stuck to posting twitter bollix on here ,what a wonderful world it would be 8)

🚨 || Arsenal and Ajax are now expected to agree a fee for Timber. Arsenal have offered a 4-5 year contract and the player will be on £150k PW. Timber only "Concerns" himself with Arsenal and even if Bayern bid, it is doubtful he is open to the move [Via - @MikeVerweij].

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

OK mate - we get de big oideer by now

My driveway needs tarmaccing now you toothless simpleton, so shave those bloody cheek hairs off and get your horse down here will you! :D :banghead:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:35 am
If everyone just stuck to posting twitter bollix on here ,what a wonderful world it would be 8)

🚨 || Arsenal and Ajax are now expected to agree a fee for Timber. Arsenal have offered a 4-5 year contract and the player will be on £150k PW. Timber only "Concerns" himself with Arsenal and even if Bayern bid, it is doubtful he is open to the move [Via - @MikeVerweij].
I can already see the headlines if ever fucks up :D

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:54 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

:barscarf: The Irish geezer makes a lot of sense...errr...I mean the Pad....err the bog hopp...the Jackeen....oh fuck!

Our esteemed Moderator makes a fair and erudite point. Top marks.

:tricolour:
The potato eating *word censored* just copied my post and was tautological trying to use excess verbiage to appear cleverer than me!! *word censored*!! ;)

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:18 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:48 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:24 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:17 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:57 pm
The chavs are apparently looking to complete a quick sale

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22747789 ... act-offer/

Of course they are - "lets get this done quickly in case anyone with half a brain at AFC realises that we are screwing them and they are buying a dud for big money" :roll:

This basque c.unt has signed TWENTY FIVE players since he became AFC manager, and I dont think that you can hold even one of them as a major success - seems like him and arteta are learning nothing and are going to continue pissing money away this summer. In 3 years at the club I make it 9 players that he has signed and are already left the club - that is a staggering figure imo. For years now our board and owners have rightfully received loads of stick for insufficient investment in the playing squad, but right now serious questions need to be asked as to why no-one in the board is standing up and stopping this havertz deal - I dont want us to buy rice either but I can at least see why some are blinded to the folly of buying declan rice, but surely there is no-one that watches english football who cannot see what a totally ridiculous and braindead signing havertz would be ?? If we sign havertz then we deserve the serious decline that we will suffer next season
Think I found the casual racism that was previously mentioned by subtleasaheadbut :oops:

Augie have a word with yourself.

I love that in this pc world people can throw around words like racism so effortlessly - I'm not nor have I ever been racist and dont care if our players or staff are white, black, orange or blue, or if they are english, Irish, american or any other nationality as long as they are of the required standard for my club. Fcuk off with that racism shit
I'm inclined to agree with Stuart. This isn't anything PC, it's out of order IMO. Yeah, you don't like Arteta we get that, but when you start to make comments about where he is from, what does that have to do with the conversation?

Are you going to start calling out everyone that says "Scouse" / "Manc" / "Geordie" / "Middx" c.unt or whatever, when talking about rival fans?

If so, you're gonna be very busy on here, because it's no different to what Augie said.
I'd argue one is xenophobia the other is rivalism. Big difference.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

I pointed this out many years ago and got hammered but maintain there's defo a correlation to those lefties woke posters who perceive/take offence at nothing being akbs (back then) and now artrta can do know wrongs, with some notable exceptions of course!!

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

DB10GOONER wrote:

So in a nutshell...have a different view on a player, you are WUMing and could be banned.

Casual racism from one of the regulars is ok though... :roll:

Midz

Post by Midz »

DB10GOONER wrote:

It may be me being a bit thick but I've read your message twice now and still fail to see who you're implying we're signing. :D

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

fivetothree wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:25 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

So in a nutshell...have a different view on a player, you are WUMing and could be banned.

Casual racism from one of the regulars is ok though... :roll:

I'm looking forward to the response to this. :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Fair play to fivetothree - its been a while since we had a quality WUM round these parts. Hopefully it won't be long before he wants us to sign Harry Maguire for 100m and make him captain!

Until then Scary Irish Man will be monitoring his file marked 'Red Member' with his finger over the 'ban' button :D

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

subtleasaheadbutt wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:40 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:18 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:48 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:24 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:17 pm

Think I found the casual racism that was previously mentioned by subtleasaheadbut :oops:

Augie have a word with yourself.

I love that in this pc world people can throw around words like racism so effortlessly - I'm not nor have I ever been racist and dont care if our players or staff are white, black, orange or blue, or if they are english, Irish, american or any other nationality as long as they are of the required standard for my club. Fcuk off with that racism shit
I'm inclined to agree with Stuart. This isn't anything PC, it's out of order IMO. Yeah, you don't like Arteta we get that, but when you start to make comments about where he is from, what does that have to do with the conversation?

Are you going to start calling out everyone that says "Scouse" / "Manc" / "Geordie" / "Middx" c.unt or whatever, when talking about rival fans?

If so, you're gonna be very busy on here, because it's no different to what Augie said.
I'd argue one is xenophobia the other is rivalism. Big difference.
Well, you might argue that, but you'd be wrong. With respect, who are you to apply your subjective opinions about what constitutes xenophobia to another poster's comment? Arteta is Basque, that's a fact, so Augie calling him a Basque c.unt is merely part of the descriptor. It no more means that he's a xenophobe than it does when I refer to Wenger as the old French fucker.

When people invoke the terms Scouse, Manc, Fat Bellied Geordies etc, why does "rivalism" make it ok to use where they are from as a means of denigrating them? I've no doubt that Augie has zero problem with the Basque country and it's people, but we all know that the term Scouse, when used on here, implies implicitly and often explicitly, that they're thieves, work shy, benefit cheats etc, so I could argue that it's worse than dropping Basque, or French into a term.

Let's put it this way, if someone called me an English c.unt, I'd be seriously confronting the "c.unt" aspect in a flash, but being comfortable in my national skin, the "English" aspect woud do little more than give me a warm glow. I'm sure Arteta feels the same about being Basque.

Do you have a problem when people refer to Kroenke in terms such as "the wig wearing Yank"?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

To get back on track

🚨 Arsenal close to agreement with Chelsea to sign Kai Harvertz for fee in region of £65m. Talks ongoing to finalise structure (instalments + add-ons). Personal terms in place & subject to deal being done, medical will be scheduled @TheAthleticFC #AFC #CFC