Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

the playing mantis

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by the playing mantis »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:55 pm
We're at the start of the structural and institutional collapse and it will be a Wanker style collapse which happens slowly at first, with more and more defeats and performances like today. There will be the usual lack of consequences for under-performing players who will start every game until at least a year after they should have been dropped, we'll see the odd decent performance against teams like Manure, chavs, scum and dippers but will be pulled apart time and again by City or dippers away. We'll see blindly obvious gaps in the squad ignored for years in the transfer market whilst average then less than average and then downright poor signings come in on long contracts as the manager desperately tries to buy their loyalty and then players like Saliba demanding moves to Spain. Arteta will keep getting contract extensions because we are "very close" to winning the league and just need a "bit longer".Then, the manager will have the usual Wankereque tantrum when it's clear he's to blame and there's nowhere left to hide and he'll start telling us how hard it is to compete with Man City and we're all a bunch of ungrateful cúnts or whatever. This is just the start. It's all too predictable.
This is what I fear, but a small tiny part of me hopes arteta can see his mistakes after so long and won't let thay happen....but I 99% think your right...its the hope that kills you though.

Anyway hope we all e joy new year chaps.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:00 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:55 pm
We're at the start of the structural and institutional collapse and it will be a Wanker style collapse which happens slowly at first, with more and more defeats and performances like today. There will be the usual lack of consequences for under-performing players who will start every game until at least a year after they should have been dropped, we'll see the odd decent performance against teams like Manure, chavs, scum and dippers but will be pulled apart time and again by City or dippers away. We'll see blindly obvious gaps in the squad ignored for years in the transfer market whilst average then less than average and then downright poor signings come in on long contracts as the manager desperately tries to buy their loyalty and then players like Saliba demanding moves to Spain. Arteta will keep getting contract extensions because we are "very close" to winning the league and just need a "bit longer".Then, the manager will have the usual Wankereque tantrum when it's clear he's to blame and there's nowhere left to hide and he'll start telling us how hard it is to compete with Man City and we're all a bunch of ungrateful cúnts or whatever. This is just the start. It's all too predictable.
This is what I fear, but a small tiny part of me hopes arteta can see his mistakes after so long and won't let thay happen....but I 99% think your right...its the hope that kills you though.

Anyway hope we all e joy new year chaps.
I suppose, Mantis, the hope is that there are people at the club like Edu and some of the coaching staff who might be more inclined to speak up to the manager and let him know that he needs to change, rather than the lettuce leaves who were there when Wanker was destroying everything from within and were afraid to challenge him. My one hope is that the reaction from the supporters after the European Super League stuff coupled with the direct protests against the board might just have woken the owners up to the fact that we aren't going to be pushed around and accept the bollocks that was dished up between 2008 and 2018. That's my hope, but I'm starting to get concerned that we're on the verge of another managerial ego trip.

Linighans there!!

Post by Linighans there!! »

Guess we are just going to play the long game....won't be long until klopp and pep leave and that will leave cement hair as the most experienced of the top four and all our young players will be approaching their prime 27-29 years

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Linighans there!! wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:17 pm
Guess we are just going to play the long game....won't be long until klopp and pep leave and that will leave cement hair as the most experienced of the top four and all our young players will be approaching their prime 27-29 years
If you believe all of those other clubs will stand still and we will come past them with Arteta then you believe in fairy tales. More likely is that City will find the next big thing or simply just a proper coach and will continue dominating. United will eventually come good again and Newcastle will go past us too.

Linighans there!!

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:30 pm
Linighans there!! wrote:
If you believe all of those other clubs will stand still and we will come past them with Arteta then you believe in fairy tales. More likely is that City will find the next big thing or simply just a proper coach and will continue dominating. United will eventually come good again and Newcastle will go past us too.
Well this is the only reason I can give why the board havnt sacked him tonight and left him to make his own way home on a Thames tourist cruise :?

KingHenry

Post by KingHenry »

Midz wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:54 am
Mikel Arteta says Arsenal will not win the Premier League this season if the Gunners do not improve in both boxes
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... both-boxes

Basically what he's saying is we're shit. We all know this and are eagerly waiting to see what he does about it.

I'm stating what he's said here and not having a pop at him. I like Arteta and support what he's doing.

Many of you will disagree with whatever substitution he makes or whatever team he fields, but you make the same criticism for any manager we have (just look at the past posts).

C'mon Mikel, you've done a good job so far, it's time to get even better.
But has he done a good job? Step back a bit his first two seasons he finished 8th.Then he blew a CL place in his third season when we lost 2 of our last 3 games. Last season all the top teams had a disaster except City so it was a straight shoot out with them.With 8 games left we had an 8pt lead.We blew it.This summer he spent £230m on 3 players but no striker. He's a bottler

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

The apathy of the team was shit. When Palinha fairly tackled Saka, Saka did this pissy little kickout when we were in possession and around the box. The whole attack is frustrated, namely because we move the ball way to slow. Saka and Martinelli are receiving the ball to feet with a brick wall ahead of them. We are not creating anywhere near the quantity of chances we did last year, and this year the ones we create we are flunking.

Its all well and good looking for 'more control' when your backline are solid. However when your conceding of a set piece very game, and failing to deal with turning the ball over, then you need to rethink.

Arteta needs to take the FA Cup match v Liverpool very seriously. Momentum is everything in football and right now we have none. If we go out of the FA Cup it could send the season into a spiral.

As for January, no reason to keep Nketiah, even without signing a replacement. Just play anyone as a false 9, play Kai upfront, whatever. Nketiah is a known quantity - he doesn't contribute in the build-up, is fuking lazy as countless times he fails to match Odegaards press, and he doesn't score enough, often going long stretches of time without a goal. If Palace put in a decent offer, just take it. He has a realy real cunty attitude and smugness about him, like he has 'made it' when his league goal scoring record per season can be counted on one hand.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Linighans there!! wrote:
Cement hair :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :lol: Even when the football side of things is going to shite this place can still make you smile :barscarf: Hats off to you mate 8) and may I also say Linighans There is a fucking qualiteee handle :D :barscarf:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:38 am
Linighans there!! wrote:
Cement hair :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :lol: Even when the football side of things is going to shite this place can still make you smile :barscarf: Hats off to you mate 8) and may I also say Linighans There is a fucking qualiteee handle :D :barscarf:
Probably need to find a balance between both posts. Bit harsh to execute Arteta for not being able to beat Klopp or Pep to a title. There isnt anyone to get who would rival either Pep or Klopp. Ancelotti would be a worse fit for our club than Emery was, plus he isnt available. I keep hearing De Zerbi names being dropped, but I dont thin De Zerbi is better than Arteta, and he would be another Graham Potter where he was made to look good by Brightons infrastructure.

But then Arteta cant be allowed to get comfortable. But there is no advantage to be gained in moving Arteta on.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:09 am
falkirk goon wrote:
Linighans there!! wrote:
Probably need to find a balance between both posts. Bit harsh to execute Arteta for not being able to beat Klopp or Pep to a title. There isnt anyone to get who would rival either Pep or Klopp. Ancelotti would be a worse fit for our club than Emery was, plus he isnt available. I keep hearing De Zerbi names being dropped, but I dont thin De Zerbi is better than Arteta, and he would be another Graham Potter where he was made to look good by Brightons infrastructure.

But then Arteta cant be allowed to get comfortable. But there is no advantage to be gained in moving Arteta on.
And we're back to the good old Wenger days

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Linighans there!! wrote:

Did the latter wenger years teach you nothing ?? Tell me, what advantage is there to be had by sticking to a failing manager and a team going backwards ? How long should fans and the club continue to piss away money supporting this project ? Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - if something clearly is failing then it takes courage to stand up and make the changes needed (be that as owner of club or the manager), and yes there is a chance that the changes wont work, but I'd rather fail whilst trying to improve things than fail by changing nothing

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:01 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Linighans there!! wrote:

Did the latter wenger years teach you nothing ?? Tell me, what advantage is there to be had by sticking to a failing manager and a team going backwards ? How long should fans and the club continue to piss away money supporting this project ? Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - if something clearly is failing then it takes courage to stand up and make the changes needed (be that as owner of club or the manager), and yes there is a chance that the changes wont work, but I'd rather fail whilst trying to improve things than fail by changing nothing
He isnt a failing manager. He got us into a position to compete when we were drifting for years under Wenger-Emery. We were top of the league a week ago. Two back to back losses isnt a reason to pull the trigger. And who are we going to hire to replace Arteta who is a sure thing to beat Pep and Klopp?

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:37 am
augie wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:01 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Linighans there!! wrote:

He isnt a failing manager. He got us into a position to compete when we were drifting for years under Wenger-Emery. We were top of the league a week ago. Two back to back losses isnt a reason to pull the trigger. And who are we going to hire to replace Arteta who is a sure thing to beat Pep and Klopp?

A few quick pointers -

1. We challenged for title in a season when ALL of the top clubs (inc citeeh) were way off their best in the league - it was similar to the leicester season really except leicester didnt have an 8pt lead with 8 games to go only to blow it :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:

2. I criticised the falling standard in the league last season, but fcuk me this season is the worst ever, and the fact that we arent top right now is an indictment of how shit we have been :oops: This isnt a knee jerk reaction to two defeats cos the reality is that we have been poor all season and have limped to wins where last season we were powering our way to wins

3. The object for me at least, isnt to hire a manager to beat pep - I want a guy who can make this team be all it can be, and if we did that I would be happy. Financially we cant compete with state funded clubs, but we have players who should be blowing away teams like fulham, the shammers, luton etc, and the reality is that we are nowhere near the level we should be at given the players we have. Fans that throw up pep's name and citeeh as the impossible target only do so to justify poor performances against the shit teams

Linighans there!!

falkirk goon wrote:
Linighans there!! wrote:
Aww, cheers buddy happy new year to ya :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:41 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Linighans there!! wrote:

And we're back to the good old Wenger days
Yep, it reads like a post from the AKB at any time between 2010-2018. And completely misses the point.