Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Gunner Rob

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Gunner Rob »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:43 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:44 am
4 games left

In with a real chance of winning the league

This is what we all wanted, to be competing at the top ( second season running and we are still improving )

It will happen, this year, maybe, next year or the year after for sure.

Keep the faith and enjoy the ride :barscarf:
I think if we beat the scum we win the league :shock:
partly true - I think the league will be decided on the matches between us and the scum and cheaty and the scum.

the thing is....if on May 14th the scum know that if they beat Cheaty they might hand us the league title if they take points off Cheaty - will they really go for it?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:08 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
4 games left

This is what we all wanted, to be competing at the top ( second season running and we are still improving )

partly true - I think the league will be decided on the matches between us and the scum and cheaty and the scum.

the thing is....if on May 14th the scum know that if they beat Cheaty they might hand us the league title if they take points off Cheaty - will they really go for it?

I think they’ll have to Rob, because they need 4th place. If Villa are already guaranteed 4th by the 14th then I’ve no doubt the scum will roll over for City, but if the scum still have a chance they’ll have to go for it.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

I don't think we will beat them though...I never do tbh, but so much on it...we should beat them comfortably, but the rest, the tension, the occasion, the stakes...I'm negative always so can only be pleasently surprised but this one the guts are already allover the place (maybe the 4 coffees on any empty stomach and 4 hours sleep last night though!)

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:21 am
I don't think we will beat them though...I never do tbh, but so much on it...we should beat them comfortably, but the rest, the tension, the occasion, the stakes...I'm negative always so can only be pleasently surprised but this one the guts are already allover the place (maybe the 4 coffees on any empty stomach and 4 hours sleep last night though!)
Partey was a massive reason for us turning them over last season, he won midfield. The fact he is looking to have a reasonable level of fitness with these massive away games coming up can't be underestimated. Rice and Partey together is immense as we saw last night. We have been deprived of that combo for most of this season.

the playing mantis

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:03 am
Partey was a massive reason for us turning them over last season, he won midfield. The fact he is looking to have a reasonable level of fitness with these massive away games coming up can't be underestimated. Rice and Partey together is immense as we saw last night. We have been deprived of that combo for most of this season.
Yes I know. Im one of the few partey fans here. He was immense last year and soon as injured off form we went to shit. He and rice should be best in league if partey is fit. Jorg I think too alow for this fixture

the playing mantis

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:03 am
Yes I know. Im one of the few partey fans here. He was immense last year and soon as injured off form we went to shit. He and rice should be best in league if partey is fit. Jorg I think too slow for this fixture

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

I agree, I hate this fixture and never expect to win. As you say, the stakes are too high emotionally. Even in the dark days of Wenger's managed decline, when I had generally stopped caring, this was the one fixture that I'd always be nervous as fuck about.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

The Post Office/ corner shops have been busy since Tuesday night ! :-D :-D :popcorn:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
4 games left

I reckon so too, don’t want to count chickens as we have dropped points we really should have collected all 3

augie

Post by augie »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 pm
The Post Office/ corner shops have been busy since Tuesday night ! :-D :-D :popcorn:

Dig at me ? Was actually over in Neasden for my uncles funeral from early Wednesday morning and was playing catch up with work all day yesterday so wasnt on here to read or post. I actually got to see fcuk all of the game Tuesday night cos I had to get work shit organised cos I was gone from home at 4.30am Wednesday morning.

Personally I had no doubt that we would beat them c.untts and have been saying the same thing for past 2 or 3 seasons cos we are that superior to them - for a while they had proper leadership that helped them beat us even when we had better players, but these days they are an absolute shambles from tip to toe and I love hammering those c.unts 8)

Was chatting a few Gooners in the pub after the funeral and they all seemed to be of the opinion that emery is a class manager that got shafted too early by the club, and they all think smith-rowe is getting screwed by the cone boy, and even non Gooners at the pub agreed that the cone boy makes the same changes all the time cos his in game management is shit - not just on here then that negative comments are made :rubchin:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

16 clean sheets. Next highest is Everton with 11. Fewest goals conceded in the league.

Arteta isnt a 'proper manager' though, so imagine our defensive record if we got a 'proper manager'.

Ill telling you know, if Arteta goes, he takes our defensive prowess with him.

New contract for Arteta priority number 1 this transfer window.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 am
16 clean sheets. Next highest is Everton with 11. Fewest goals conceded in the league.

Arteta isnt a 'proper manager' though, so imagine our defensive record if we got a 'proper manager'.

Anyone who thinks he hasn't done a decent job is kidding themselves. I was up there with his biggest critics and would admit he has done far better than I could have imagined. Yes it has taken a lot of investment but these days it always will.

My remaining question is whether he can instill the final winning mentality piece that Lord Cuntface made sure left the building about 15 years ago along with most of our winning mentality players. Games like today will tell us. Our early Wenger teams would go into their rabied cesspit faced with their fervent mongs hanging effigies of Campbell and pelting the team coach, and turn them over. It didn't get more hostile than that and the stakes were just as high. Players like Lauren, Vieira, Gilberto etc didn't give a fuck about their pricks trying to put us off our game. These boys today face the same. Do they have that steely inner belief? We are a better team without a doubt. As you say yourself - best defence plus we've scored the most goals

So for me a manager doing a very good job faced with the challenges that separate very good with excellent. Apart from maybe 2 positions in the squad he doesn't need much else - the rest is down to mentality

the playing mantis

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:21 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 am

Anyone who thinks he hasn't done a decent job is kidding themselves. I was up there with his biggest critics and would admit he has done far better than I could have imagined. Yes it has taken a lot of investment but these days it always will.

My remaining question is whether he can instill the final winning mentality piece that Lord Cuntface made sure left the building about 15 years ago along with most of our winning mentality players. Games like today will tell us. Our early Wenger teams would go into their rabied cesspit faced with their fervent mongs hanging effigies of Campbell and pelting the team coach, and turn them over. It didn't get more hostile than that and the stakes were just as high. Players like Lauren, Vieira, Gilberto etc didn't give a fuck about their pricks trying to put us off our game. These boys today face the same. Do they have that steely inner belief? We are a better team without a doubt. As you say yourself - best defence plus we've scored the most goals

So for me a manager doing a very good job faced with the challenges that separate very good with excellent. Apart from maybe 2 positions in the squad he doesn't need much else - the rest is down to mentality
yeah cant argue with much of that, we are better in games we would have melted in and playing good stuff, even if we collapse now, (caused by the inevitably and pointlessness of hoping city slip up which i cant see now), the only issue i have are the use of favorites, imagine zinchenko in todays game! and jesus to an extent (but they didn't play so hopefully hes learning) and the lack of depth are issues for me and in game management, along with the lack of striker and gk situation. sort those out and a new LB and some squad depth and a more reliable CM partner for rice and we are good enough to beat city.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

In my view we have lost the league due to one man. Zinchenko. Cost us 6 points vs Villa. Got raped for their goal in the away game. Similarly made the whole team and stadium shit themselves at home. If we simply draw both games we win the league. Bloke’s a total c unt. It’s no coincidence we have righted the ship since he was dropped a few games ago. Total fucking liability.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:34 pm
In my view we have lost the league due to one man. Zinchenko. Cost us 6 points vs Villa. Got raped for their goal in the away game. Similarly made the whole team and stadium shit themselves at home. If we simply draw both games we win the league. Bloke’s a total c unt. It’s no coincidence we have righted the ship since he was dropped a few games ago. Total fucking liability.
Indeed - also throw in the games we lost over Xmas to Fulham and West Ham. Nketiah starts up front at Fulham, the non scoring Jesus against West Ham. The goals flowed once Havertz when up top.

Two areas have cost us - CliveChenko and the two mugs pretending to be centre forwards. Think most of us called those areas at the start of the season