THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

Post by OneBardGooner »

Anyone who likes deep purple:

a short video about their Iconic Song... 'Smoke On The Water'

Just nice to hear some (*) of the band members talking about the experience of recording it waaaaay back in 1972.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYURzgLhcqc

8)

(*) We all know which miserable **** of that line-up refused to be interviewed about it. :? :roll:

Block93

Post by Block93 »

Been revisiting my albums from back in the day and one that certainly stands the test of time is Argus by Wishbone Ash. One of the first prog albums? A total classic especially for would-be rock star guitarists.

Check out 'The King Will Come' which has one of the great intros and an absolutely killer riff. Play it loud and you'll be playing along on the first or second listen. Just awesome.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Block93 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:21 pm
Been revisiting my albums from back in the day and one that certainly stands the test of time is Argus by Wishbone Ash. One of the first prog albums? A total classic especially for would-be rock star guitarists.

Check out 'The King Will Come' which has one of the great intros and an absolutely killer riff. Play it loud and you'll be playing along on the first or second listen. Just awesome.
8)

Yeah! I remember buying Argus... I love the cover as well, definitely Ash's Best Album... All the tracks just blend into one another...Oddly enough I've just recently re-learnt the (Acoustic) Intro to 'Time Was'... Fucking LOVE It! ... The twin guitars worked so well and the tone that Andy Powell got/ gets from his Gibson Flying V - Those high end gentle breaks he plays throughout the album are a Joy, especially his two short lead solo's in Leaf and Stream...What a Fucking Song ! Also some of the Bass riffs are colossal - I didn't used to like the Gibson Bass sound back then, but the sound Martin Turner gets on his bass for that album is like rumbling thunder...

Just a pity they had very poor Management (Miles Copeland - Who managed the Police - It's rumoured that when the Police started making waves he left W.Ash in the gutter with Huge Debts etc) And (Allegedly) literally stole their tour money; nothing unusual back then I know... But it caused all kinds of arguments within the band as they were working their asses off touring with nothing to show when they got home, also leading to houses being re-possessed and families being affected etc . The follow up Wishbone Four is good but not a patch on Argus.... I remember going to see them in the Top Rank in Reading when they were touring with Wishbone 4 - and they played about two thirds of Argus.

Also Stand Out tracks are: F.U.B.B (Fucked Up Beyond Belief) from 'There's The Rub' in all honesty there's only two decent tracks on that album/FUBB and 'Silver Lady' - The latter has a 'feel' of Argus about it. Their best album after those weird years is New England - Some gorgeous Bass riffs and Amazing Guitar work; with Andy Powell and Laurie Wisefield; who replaced the departing Ted Turner.

Argus is a Great Album though 100%. 8)

Block93

Post by Block93 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 2:08 pm
Block93 wrote:

8)

Yeah! I remember buying Argus... I love the cover as well, definitely Ash's Best Album... All the tracks just blend into one another...Oddly enough I've just recently re-learnt the (Acoustic) Intro to 'Time Was'... Fucking LOVE It! ... The twin guitars worked so well and the tone that Andy Powell got/ gets from his Gibson Flying V - Those high end gentle breaks he plays throughout the album are a Joy, especially his two short lead solo's in Leaf and Stream...What a Fucking Song ! Also some of the Bass riffs are colossal - I didn't used to like the Gibson Bass sound back then, but the sound Martin Turner gets on his bass for that album is like rumbling thunder...

Just a pity they had very poor Management (Miles Copeland - Who managed the Police - It's rumoured that when the Police started making waves he left W.Ash in the gutter with Huge Debts etc) And (Allegedly) literally stole their tour money; nothing unusual back then I know... But it caused all kinds of arguments within the band as they were working their asses off touring with nothing to show when they got home, also leading to houses being re-possessed and families being affected etc . The follow up Wishbone Four is good but not a patch on Argus.... I remember going to see them in the Top Rank in Reading when they were touring with Wishbone 4 - and they played about two thirds of Argus.

Also Stand Out tracks are: F.U.B.B (Fucked Up Beyond Belief) from 'There's The Rub' in all honesty there's only two decent tracks on that album/FUBB and 'Silver Lady' - The latter has a 'feel' of Argus about it. Their best album after those weird years is New England - Some gorgeous Bass riffs and Amazing Guitar work; with Andy Powell and Laurie Wisefield; who replaced the departing Ted Turner.

Thanks OBG that's some great info there and I will check out your recommended two tracks for sure.

Nice to see on this thread there must be people about my age if you bought Argus when it came out! FFS, I have just got my letter about my state pension. I don't mind getting the extra grand a month but I do object to being the age to get it. Hey-ho.

I remember the albums I bought around that time, Queen 2, Crime of the Century, Rick W's Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Dark Side of the Moon ...those were the days when everyone bought different albums and you recorded them on a Memorex C90 (with Dolby!!) in the cassette deck of your music centre, complete with its with record player and FM/AM radio...or if you didn't run to that, your Philips Cassette Recorder. Always annoyed me when an album was longer than 45 minutes, because it obviously just cut. There are still songs I hear which I expect to cut before they finish!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Block93 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 3:15 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 2:08 pm
Block93 wrote:

8)

Thanks OBG that's some great info there and I will check out your recommended two tracks for sure.

Nice to see on this thread there must be people about my age if you bought Argus when it came out! FFS, I have just got my letter about my state pension. I don't mind getting the extra grand a month but I do object to being the age to get it. Hey-ho.

I remember the albums I bought around that time, Queen 2, Crime of the Century, Rick W's Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Dark Side of the Moon ...those were the days when everyone bought different albums and you recorded them on a Memorex C90 (with Dolby!!) in the cassette deck of your music centre, complete with its with record player and FM/AM radio...or if you didn't run to that, your Philips Cassette Recorder. Always annoyed me when an album was longer than 45 minutes, because it obviously just cut. There are still songs I hear which I expect to cut before they finish!
8) :barscarf:

Apologies :oops: I meant to say 'Former' not latter: it is F.U.B.B That is the track that could have easily fitted into Argus, the whole mood, sound and feel of it (No Vocals) really do sound as if it were recorded at the same time (as Argus) .... some awesome guitar playing and the Bass is incredible ... get ready for a surprise ending! :wink:

It's funny but I could never get into Queen, I remember their single (45rpm) 'Seven Seas Of Rye' charting, but they were a band that just never caught my attention.... I remember very well the day Dark Side was released by Floyd. The album had been given a public airing: the album on a huge sound system at the Planetarium in London for journalists / music hacks (Sounds, Melody Maker & NME) there week before and of course the rumours ran wild, I had been ill with Flu but went to my local record shop on the Monday morning - which was when all new releases went on sale back then... Still got the original vinyl with the Poster and the Post cards... I saw them when they only did 8 UK Gigs to promote the album before they jetted off on their huge US Tour... I was already 'into' them - with Atom Heart Mother (my favourite Floyd album) and Umma Gamma (Dble LP) ...

I can still remember that Summer (72 or 73? - Sorry getting old) when I played W.Ash (Argus), Tubular Bells (Mike Oldfield ) and The Yes Album (Yes) day & night till it drove my old man nuts :D

Sigh! Those Really were the days... Queuing out all night to get tickets for gigs: Yes, Genesis, ELP, Focus, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath ...Sabbath were staying at the local posh hotel, so me and 3 mates went there after the gig and snuck in via the Kitchens at the back, Geezer, Bill Ward and their manager were in the bar and bought us drinks till 1am in the morning ... we left pissed out of our heads.. :D :-P

Yeah ! I remember taping albums for my mates and vice versa ..... Rock On! :D :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

ps: Link to F.U.B.B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHCgjwXbB4

Brilliant! :barscarf:

Block93

Post by Block93 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 6:56 pm
ps: Link to F.U.B.B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHCgjwXbB4

Brilliant! :barscarf:
Mate, so many great memories in your previous note. Genesis were my favourite band in the 70s, and one of the few who genuinely maintained their quality over the years, even after PG left. My fave album ever is still Lamb Lies Down, but I will happily listen to We Can't Dance too! I love Marillion, always negatively compared to Genesis, but albums like Misplaced Childhood and Marbles (the extended one, with Ocean Cloud) stand scrutiny.

Probably get drummed off this thread by saying my favourite track off Foxtrot is not Supper's Ready but Can-Utility! However, on a more cultural level, I did read the Book of Revelations in the New Testament to get the references in SR!! Steve Hackett does a wonderful version of Can-Utility, and coincidentally lives 100 yards from me in SW London in a modest semi, thanks apparently to several expensive divorces....

Favourite Floyd albums probably The Wall and was at the original Earls Court concerts, but The Final Cut also a very fine work. But maybe Echoes is my fave track.

These days, have moved on a bit, and backwards, as have to say that Bob Dylan rules supreme in my eyes. Is there really a better song than 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright'? Not sure. Jokerman, off Infidels runs it close. But so many others too.

My guilty pleasure is the Quo. Saw them many times, and they are so underrated melodically. Rick Parfitt also lived around the corner from me and drove a blue Aston Martin reg SKY 42, well that was 'Blue for You' in my eyes!!

Happy days!!