Stan's the man.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
King Kolo

Post by King Kolo »

First off I would just like to say hey to all you guys.

TBH I trust David Dein more than I do the rest of the board and so if he thinks that Stan is the right man for the job I agree with him.

Could I have picked a more divided topic to put my first post on??

gunners-need-steel

Post by gunners-need-steel »

King Kolo wrote:First off I would just like to say hey to all you guys.

TBH I trust David Dein more than I do the rest of the board and so if he thinks that Stan is the right man for the job I agree with him.

Could I have picked a more divided topic to put my first post on??
:D Welcome to the forum King Kolo ... :D

not sure the topic is as divided as you think ... and I agree with you, if its ok with DD, its definitely ok with me

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

Do you think that's why wenger didn't name a new sporting director to sought out the traansfers because he had inside information from his close friend David Dein and using it will unsettle the squad as an excuse.

Leprechaun_9

Post by Leprechaun_9 »

I dont think we have enough information on Kroenke's plans to give an informed opinion. First off, Stan Kroenke is a businessman. Secondly, he is not a lifelong Arsenal supporter. This leads me to the conclusion that this acquisition will solely be made with a view to Mr. Kroenke making a profit on his investment. Have you ever heard of somebody making an investment to make a loss. Following on from this, if Kroenke were to give a big transfer kitty, this amount would have to be recouped by other means e.g increased ticket prices etc. The only thing that is certain to me is that you cannot have your cake and eat it. There are consequences for big spending. I think many Arsenal fans have become a bit agitated having seen their main rivals splurge in the transfer market and hence see this shining Knight on horseback (Kroenke) as the saviour. Whilst I would value Dein's opinion on the matter, I would need to see a more detailed plan to decide whether any takeover would be in the LONG TERM interests of Arsenal FC. Be Patient!

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

Welcome Kolo :P

Was in Peterborough lately to visit English branch of the clan and loved it, liked all that "Fairy Meadows" stuff. Anyway, don't get me wrong lads and lasses, I am all on for Stan and David buying the whole thing up I just fear the Manshitscum type debt!

I just wonder how his Misses intends to pay for it all :lol:

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

green gooner wrote:.Was in Peterborough lately to visit English branch of the clan and loved it...
Green Gooner,

What? What? What? :shock: Have I misread you all this time? :oops: :?

You one of those weirdo's that likes dressing up in white robes and pillow cases, carrying torches and screaming racists obscenities? :shock: :? :roll: I thought groups like that only still existed in the southern parts of the U.S.A.!! :roll: :lol:

Hagbard 23

Post by Hagbard 23 »

Oh God, now Im hearing Bernie Ecclestone, yes he of formula 1 , has started a bidding war with Kroenke over AFC. This is starting to get surreal... http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/ ... 4123.shtml

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote::) Why is it that the fans that are anti the kroenke takeover feel that it is ok to condemn anyone that supports the takeover without knowing his plans but yet are willing to oppose the takeover from the very same position ? Leigh I suspect is one of these fans but he is 100% right when he suggests fans are sliding towards supporting kroenke cos of the DD factor and I am one of those fans. I agree that it is unlikely that should a takeover be successful wenger will be given an endless amount of money and equally as doubtful whether he would spend it anyway but it is hard to say whether Arsene's strict handling of the coffers is down to the way he prefers to operate or down to a lack of cash. One thing we all know is that this board is not the way forward and even those anti kroenke have conceded that on these forums. Yes I would place my faith in DD quicker than the rest of the board for 2 reasons (1) his close relationship with Wenger. Anything that helps keep Arsene at this club forever has to be good (2) DD invested in this club himself as opposed to the likes of phw & bracewell smith who inherited their shares> I think that DD would not make decisions that would have a detrimental effect on the club that he invested in & worked so hard for over the last 24 years. I really hope that to fund this takeover kroenke doesn't have to go the glazier route because I really want to see DD back and I think the success or failure of this bid will hinge on how it is financed
Hi again augie! Just a couple of points.

I too have a certain amount of trust in DD but he (like us all) is not infallible. If this whole Silent Stan thing is about investment and money so we can be more competitive in the transfer market, then let's remember that DD was against the move to AG. He felt the move would take money out of the playing side and that was a legitimate worry. But whether we like the new ground or not it generates way more income than THOF did.

Ok, we haven't seen much increased spending on new players but then again we don't know (because the club is so secretive) if that extra income is being used to up the wages of players like Kolo and Cesc to keep them here. And in fairness, I'm glad AW doesn't go out and throw £16.5million at the likes of Bent. Read the financial statements, we DO have more money than previously. So DD was probably very wrong about the move.

What else is he wrong about? Has he had his head turned by SS's smooth patter, maybe sitting on SS's yacht, sipping fine champagne, hearing platitudes and great schemes to make his beloved Arsenal a world brand?

While DD is Arsenal through and through and I want him back on the board, SS is not an Arsenal fan. He has never been one. He is a business man first and foremost. I cannot see him putting a huge chunk of his personal fortune into the takeover. He WILL borrow. The question then is what does he use as collateral? His existing companies/sports franchises? Are you kidding me? Not a chance I reckon. It is my opinion (and I am entitled to an opinion too augie) that he will follow the Glazier route. As I said earlier he has never officially confirmed or denied he would do this, but he HAS stated that he sees nothing wrong in doing it.

I guarantee that if SS takes over by "doing a Glazier" then ticket prices will start to get silly. The club will have to pay the loan back and most of us fans will get priced out of going.

I think alot of people are getting a little blind sided by manure and the scousers new American investers and the brief splash of cash on new players. But how long will it last? manure (the club, NOT Glazier) have to pay back £62 million a year on Glaziers loan BEFORE they do any other business. How long can they keep that up? Even with their huge merchandising machine and massive "fan" base. And what have Liverpool really bought? Will they win the league in the next two or three years? No. I really don't think so.

Sure, many people will counter that manure won it by a mile last year. But that had nothing to do with Glazier's "investment". It was more to do with the rest of the chasing pack underperforming due to inconsistency, injuries and also the fact that ronaldo and rooney finally hit real form and manure were lucky to a certain extent with injuries.

I say it again, I'd love to see DD back because he is a Gooner, but if the cost to the club is an uncaring American owner and huge debt and a half empty stadium watching average players on the pitch then I'll pass.

Now remember, I'm not saying that I'm right on every issue, I'm just expressing my opinion and worries about an American that has no love for the club putting our very existence at risk by taking us over.

I'd LOVE to be proven wrong on this. Imagine a world where we can compete with the chav$ and Madrid and the barcawhores for the best players? I just can't see it coming from SS.

I love Arsenal FC more than is probably healthy. Like most of the great people on here do. We love this club, it's in our blood. We take the silent sh*t from the board, we buy the overpriced merchandise, we travel the globe to games, we work hard to afford the ticket prices, we get the tattoos, we raise our kids into this religion, we "convert" girlfriends & wives from whatever club their family supported, we make those same spouses Gooners if they don't have a previous allegiance and we live and die with every result.

Stan Kroenke has no concept of what that is like. DD does. He is one of us. I'd love DD back on board.

But I think SS would be a big risk. :twisted:

All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

Welcome King Kolo :D

Thats it now theres no getting away :wink: :lol:

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Great post DB10 and entirely accurate cos unless Kronke can do something spectacular with Arsenal in order to dramatically increase our revenue/profits, (and the only thing I can imagine he is capable of is improving the club's profile in the states, which even then is not goin to reap massive benefits anywhere in the near future) then how is this takeover going to help us because he'll want a piece of what little cash there is!
Altho he has named the centre of his sports complex, which is by all accounts the biggest in the world, The Arsenal School of Excellence, he is no RA and he is actually pretty small potatoes even in holdings never mind liquid, this is why I would prefer if Bernie Ecclestone did take over cos his net worth is about 5 times that of SS, DD's son Gavin is also shaggin Bernie's wee Dote and DD received a call from the aforementioned BE on the day he was unceremoniously dumped by the current board, to say that he regarded his treatment as harsh!
The added benefit here of course is that bein British, Ecclestone altho a ruthless operator, might play more of a benefactor role and not just see the club in terms of £ or $ signs either, it also turns out that Lewis Hamilton is a disciple too so there's enough juice there to keep the conspiracy theorists among us busy for ages :D !

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

I've heard a rumour that Bernie Ecclestone is tempted by a bid now! I'm sure its absolute rubbish, but for the record i'd rather Sir Alex Ferguson bought us than that gobsh*te

augie

Post by augie »

:) DBGonner, I don't mind if you agree with me or not I just love the fact that we, as massive Gooners, can come on a forum like this and debate all the issues re our club. I would have ask what you consider to be silly ticket prices cos almost all gooners that I speak to already complain about the prices at the grove which see's us as either the highest or 2nd highest prices in the country. I'd also like to take issue with the question posed by leprechaun when he asks if we have ever seen anybody invest in a club without the intent of making money - ever heard of a crook (alleged) down the west end called abramovich ? I know the scenarios are not at all similar and I acknowledge that kroenke may not be the knight in shining armour but i do get p*ssed off when I read statements like "kroenke is not an arsenal fan" because, lets face it, how many of the current board are ? This board is past it's sell by date and i think most fans deep down acknowledge this. They served our club at a time when maybe money wasn't as big an issue and in the last 20 odd years have been very lucky to have had two managers that have acheived success on the cheap(in comparison to the peers). That day is now sadly long gone and apart from the cash boost we need to keep up with the manures & chelski's of this world , we also need the cash to stay ahead of the likes of citeh, villa & dare i say it the spurts. If we fail to qualify for the champions league this season or any season then financially we are in big shit. I do not for 1 second believe that the club have provided wenger with a decent transfer budget and its all very well saying that the club revenue has increased but with the repayments the outgoings have multiplied too. Dont get me wrong I am 100% behind the move to the new stadium (the 1 decision that i think DD was wrong on) and I know that in a few years time the club will be very healthy financially but what happens in the meantime ? Failure to qualify for champs league won't just hit us financially but will also prevent us from attracting top players to the club and may encourage our top players to "seek new challenges" elsewhere. As I stated elsewhere all I am suggesting is that we as fans hold our fire in deciding whether we are pro or anti kroenke until the financial details are revealed and then I am sure the AST will enlighten us all as to the meaning of these figures

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

augie - next time can you please do me a favour & break your posts into bitesize chunks. You just need to press that return key a couple of times every so often. I find all those words packed together to be too intimidating. Bit like War & Peace, or the new Harry Potter....!!

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Augie it's interesting to hear you say that this board are well past their sell by date when they have just got the biggest decision to ever face this club, EVER, bang on the money and climbed the proverbial mountain to do it, you can't just say "don't get me wrong I'm 100% behind the move to the new stadium - the one decision that I think DD was wrong on"!
Don't you understand that this is what happens when big business gets involved, traditions and things that the fans really care about get trampled underfoot in the stampede to the coporate trough!
The one word that is synonomous with Arsenal is tradition, it is part of our very identity, and altho we have to move with the times we are doing so steadily, and doing it any other way would put us in danger of becoming the very thing that we despise namely, vacuuous coporate whores such as ManUre and of course Chavski!
There is no getting away from the fact that ManUre were victims of a corporate raid and Chelsea and now L'pool had no choice but to surrender to big business, we on the other hand don't, due to the way the club has been handled in the past which is what made it an attractive proposition to AW cos he knew the people he would be working with were people who could be trusted, and AW has repeatedly stated he has no burning desire to see the club taken over cos he is well aware it is a double edged sword!
Say even someone such as RA (even without the dodgy past) offered to buy our club and promised bottomless pockets to buy the next 5 titles would you welcome him with open arms (no pun), even he's beginning to realise that that we've got more respect than Chelsea for all their money ever will, and people will remember our title winning seasons/teams long after theirs are long forgotten, and by the way RA never pretended he was buying the Chavs as an investment, I honestly think he genuinely loves football whereas Stan will want to balance the books just as our board have done for countless years!
It is also not the case that if we didn't qualify for the CL for a year or two that we are in big shit cos that eventuality has been catered for not that I think for one second that it'll happen, and everybody on the face of the planet is well aware who the most powerful man at Arsenal is and the board have never tried to suggest otherwise and, they'd be cutting their own throats if they ever undermined him in the transfer market!

Leprechaun_9

Post by Leprechaun_9 »

Hi Augie, the part of my post relating to...would someone making an investment to lose money?...was to be read in conjunction with the previous couple of sentences which descibed Kroenke as a businessman, and as such any monies invested would be on this basis. Abramovich is an exception to the rule. My points were in relation to genuine foreign investors/business people...(and not Oligarchs and Asian tycoons who made their fortune from other not so "official/professional" means).I believe that these foreign investors that plough money in without a care may just be trying to transfer their assets from their homeland into British assets which would be more difficult/impossible to confiscate. i.e the ALLEGED reports that Thaksin Shinawatra made a lot of his wealth through corruption etc.....Abramovich from buying into the Russian oil industry at a ridiculously discounted rate. If either government come back to rectify anything down the line, it will be next to impossible.....anyway I've just gone off on a tangent...my apologies