The Cricket Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by officepest »

arseofacrow wrote:
officepest wrote:The pitch is a total road and I'd heavily back a draw, if I were a betting man.
Robin_L has just gone all in on a SA win

:barscarf:
:coffeespit:

officepest

Post by officepest »

England all out for 323 to lead by 10. SA have been reduced to 70-8 in their second innings and England are closing in on what would be a magnificent series win. :barscarf:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

officepest wrote:England all out for 323 to lead by 10. SA have been reduced to 70-8 in their second innings and England are closing in on what would be a magnificent series win. :barscarf:
Not long to go Offers me old mate.

50 up, only 24 required.

:barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Stuart Broad has a devastating ability to win Test matches in half an hour - against any side in the world.

And he is doing it more and more consistently. Did the same at Trent Bridge against the Aussies last summer and bowled out of his skin in woeful conditions for pace bowling in UAE against Pakistan.

Think he relishes stepping up and taking the lead, which bodes well for Anderson's inevitable demise.

officepest

Post by officepest »

The series is won but England are unsurprisingly collapsing in the fourth test rubber. It's becoming quite a tiresome habit.

England 50-3 and will have to bat all day tomorrow to salvage a draw, which ain't gonna happen.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

officepest wrote:The series is won but England are unsurprisingly collapsing in the fourth test rubber. It's becoming quite a tiresome habit.

England 50-3 and will have to bat all day tomorrow to salvage a draw, which ain't gonna happen.
Don't think they've been helped much by the pitch which is on a sub-continent level in terms of favouring the side winning the toss. It is also difficult once you have conceded a first-innings deficit of 100+ runs batting second - unless you get 4 or 5 early wickets they are going to have so much freedom and the prospect of winning the game will evaporate pretty quickly.

That said it's no excuse for the batting collapse at the top of the order - Compton's dismissal in particular was brainless in the extreme.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Cricket is dying on its arse. I used to be upset but now I couldn't give a toss.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

GranadaJoe wrote:Cricket is dying on its arse. I used to be upset but now I couldn't give a toss.
boom boom!

:wink:

officepest

Post by officepest »

Wow. Even by English standards, that was a monumental collapse. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:gayflag:

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

England beat Sri Lanka by 10 runs and go through to the semis. :barscarf: :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Quality result. I would be up for going to the final if England get there, but knowing my luck it would probably rain :(.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

It got a bit nerve-wracking over the last two games but we're in the semi finals and look strong. NZ look good but India and Australia are both beatable.I think we've got a decent chance now.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Come on England! Can we win the trophy against a team that has already beaten us by 6 wickets? Give it your best shot lads and keep Gayle quiet. :barscarf: :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Gayle is obviously a huge wicket as he can score centuries in this format for fun. That said England probably have more destructive batsmen who are capable at this level - if I was West Indies I would be even more worried.

Think it will come down to how England's bowling attack performs - if they get a decent shackle in West Indies' batting England will win.