Fuck it Im starting a transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Fuck it Im starting a transfer Thread

Post by mcdowell42 »

6 days away from the transfer window opening so i think its time for the good old(and much loved) speculation thread on the players we are going to buy.

Arsene Wenger is contemplating a loan move for Manchester City's out-of-favour 31-year-old defender Wayne Bridge, despite denying having made an approach for the left-back in his pre-match news conference.
Full story: Daily Mail

The Gunners are also ready to step up their interest in Brazil's 19-year-old midfielder Casemiro as his club Sao Paulo are reportedly ready to cash in with a £10m deal.
Full story: talkSPORT

Or Arsenal will bid £23m for AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato, the 22-year-old having fallen down the pecking order somewhat this season.
Full story: caughtoffside.com

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Dont forget Goetze

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:Dont forget Goetze

Fairy tales are another Thread altogether sammy :wink:

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

mcdowell42 wrote:

Tut tut

How you are all gonna eat humble pie.....seriously

REB

Post by REB »

might as well make it a sticky :cry:

REB

Post by REB »

interesting peice yesterday on le grove

P.S A Ligue one enthusiast posted the below piece on Gourcuff… thanks Pierre!

I am a Lyon/Arsenal supporter and I thought I’d give some feedback re; Gourcuff.

There is a lot of whining about Gourcuff but that’s who Arsenal are going to get. Wenger has wanted him since he was 17!

Don’t believe me? Read Wenger’s own blog on Eurosport only 3 or so months ago !

Wenger regularly drools over Gourcuff in the French press, he’s compared him to Platini and Zidane often.

You also forget that he’s a close friend of his father and the same footballing philosophy is shared among the three.

Gourcuff’s failure at Lyon is due to several reasons, firstly, Lyon do not play a short passing game conducive to Gourcuff’s ability, the side is too dependent upon individuals and the collective play is almost zero. Secondly, Lyon wanted to capitalise on Gourcuff financially through merchandise and marketing, even creating a brand called “YG29″ – hence when he joined Lyon he had a special presentation with 20,000 supporters – this put enormous pressure on him – the boy doesn’t have a bad attitude, he’s introverted, quiet, shy and also a mega nerd. Thirdly, under Claude Puel, Gourcuff was often used as a defensive midfielder because Lisandro Lopez wanted to play with Gomis. The same has happened under Remi Garde.

Gourcuff also has suffered enormous abuse from the French press much like Robert Pires at Marseille (hence Pires is a huge supporter of Gourcuff joining Arsenal). Wenger took Pires from Marseille and rekindled his career. The French press abuse him because he’s different and an interesting target – he’s highly educated, an intellectual of sorts, doesn’t believe in ‘bling bling’, night clubs, etc – he’s often voted the most ‘liked’ footballer in France because he sets a good example for youngsters! (regarded as the ‘perfect son’).

Wenger is going to get an absolute bargain here – you can forget about Goetze. No player in France received as much comparisons as Gourcuff to Zidane or even Platini – put under proper conditions at Arsenal, he will once again reach these heights.

Also don’t forget, Zidane had never achieved as much as Gourcuff at this age, Zidane won the world cup at 25! His career blossomed from there, prior to that he was nothing and Aime Jacquet was even lambasted for selecting him in the 98 French side!

SteveO 35

Re: Fuck it Im starting a transfer Thread

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:6 days away from the transfer window opening so i think its time for the good old(and much loved) speculation thread on the players we are going to buy.

Arsene Wenger is contemplating a loan move for Manchester City's out-of-favour 31-year-old defender Wayne Bridge, despite denying having made an approach for the left-back in his pre-match news conference.
Full story: Daily Mail

The Gunners are also ready to step up their interest in Brazil's 19-year-old midfielder Casemiro as his club Sao Paulo are reportedly ready to cash in with a £10m deal.
Full story: talkSPORT

Or Arsenal will bid £23m for AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato, the 22-year-old having fallen down the pecking order somewhat this season.
Full story: caughtoffside.com
Now I wonder which one of those three is the most likely. Good old Paddy Power have been in touch with the latest odds:

Over-the-hill, too shit for relegated West Ham, journeyman Bridge on loan - 1/7

£10m for a highly rated Brazilian - 8/1

Paying over £20m for an established international strikers that has already proven his worth in one of Europe's top leagues and the CL - Paddy Power says name your price and will refund all losing bets if this fucker comes in

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

This is the signing we are most likely to complete - on the BBC's gossip page today.

Pensioner Colin Lee, 72, who plays in goal for an amateur team in Wolverhampton, has been revealed as Britain's oldest footballer.
Full story: Metro

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

SteveO 35 wrote:This is the signing we are most likely to complete - on the BBC's gossip page today.

Pensioner Colin Lee, 72, who plays in goal for an amateur team in Wolverhampton, has been revealed as Britain's oldest footballer.

Colin lee =almunia/flappy/mannone

No contest i know who id want on bench

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:This is the signing we are most likely to complete - on the BBC's gossip page today.

Colin lee =almunia/flappy/mannone

No contest i know who id want on bench
Not wrong there. Can someone give Wolves a call and ask them to bring him down on the bus - he'll qualify for free travel too :D

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Now Joe Cole is in France, Wenger is gonna really be interested in him. You heard it here first :wink:

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

if our january business are anything close to satisfactory, you can call me from then on "donald duck".

:roll:

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Tut tut

How you are all gonna eat humble pie.....seriously
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm saving this post for a good laugh in a month's time :lol: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

I would be very happy if we signed Gourcuff - for me anytime I have seen him play I have thought that he is very similar in style to a younger kaka and playing off the front man (like bergkamp used to do :( ) would be ideal for him and us 8) :barscarf:

Of course if we signed him wenger would probably play him on the wing, fans would bemoan his lack of influence on the game, many fans would slate him on the basis of him being a poor replacement for cesc even though those very fans *word censored* off cesc at every opportunity ( :roll: ), the player himself would become totally disillusioned with life at Arsenal and in 3 years time we will have done another wonderful job of turning a brilliant football into a lazy journeyman going through the motions :roll: :evil: :banghead:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Chamakh loan to Bolton after the ANC, Kaka coming in on loan til the end of the season. TH14 not to sign but to stay with club until March.