VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: VAR

Post by OneBardGooner »

TeeCee wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:55 pm
Once again, a change to the existing mess will have to be made because of useless, cheating, corrupt refs who will then of course, complain and still manage to be fucking useless. How much more proof do we need that the refs are fucking shit?
Exactly mate, VAR can never be the answer because the same shit/biased/incompetent refs are the people making the VAR decisions!! :banghead:

Italy have announced they are training specific VAR teams to run it which I think needs to happen, they need to be totally independent from the referees though.

Incidentally, interesting to read how VAR is going in Europe (BBC report). Germany and Italy is kind of OK but not great and in France it's a disaster, big probs every week, everyone hates it, including managers, players etc.
Evidently, in Spain now, when VAR looks at something, if it looks long winded and difficult to call, they just say play on as it's not clear......what a fucking novel idea, keep the game moving quicker and don't interrupt for a toenail offside :banghead:

For me, the single, massive improvement that should be made is to change the law on offside. Make it that there has to be an actual gap (whole body) between attacker and defender for him to be offside, if any part of the attackers body is level with the defender, he's onside. More goals, hardly any stoppages for offside, hardly any goals ruled out because the law will be much clearer. Searching for a few millimetres of a body part to be offside is a fucking joke.
100% :high5:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:16 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:55 pm
Once again, a change to the existing mess will have to be made because of useless, cheating, corrupt refs who will then of course, complain and still manage to be fucking useless. How much more proof do we need that the refs are fucking shit?
Exactly mate, VAR can never be the answer because the same shit/biased/incompetent refs are the people making the VAR decisions!! :banghead:

Italy have announced they are training specific VAR teams to run it which I think needs to happen, they need to be totally independent from the referees though.

Incidentally, interesting to read how VAR is going in Europe (BBC report). Germany and Italy is kind of OK but not great and in France it's a disaster, big probs every week, everyone hates it, including managers, players etc.
Evidently, in Spain now, when VAR looks at something, if it looks long winded and difficult to call, they just say play on as it's not clear......what a fucking novel idea, keep the game moving quicker and don't interrupt for a toenail offside :banghead:

For me, the single, massive improvement that should be made is to change the law on offside. Make it that there has to be an actual gap (whole body) between attacker and defender for him to be offside, if any part of the attackers body is level with the defender, he's onside. More goals, hardly any stoppages for offside, hardly any goals ruled out because the law will be much clearer. Searching for a few millimetres of a body part to be offside is a fucking joke.
100% :high5:
Completely disagree. It will simply shift the VAR checks to millimetres where there is an overlap. Attackers will learn to flail their legs out backwards in order to overlap with part of the defender. Will become a farce.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Will become a farce
It already is mate!!! :lol:

Changing the rules can only make it better

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:43 am
robbo10 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:18 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:51 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:45 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:17 pm
PGMOL, PL and FA are meeting this week I think to discuss expanding VAR to cover all free kicks, second yellow cards and other things. Games will be 2 hours long!!

I think this could end up needing all fans to boycott going to matches unless they bin VAR. It's probably the only thing that will stop it now.

When I read that this morning the first thing that popped into my head is that Steve O is correct and that they are doing this to ensure a fan backlash to get rid of var - even as things stand fans are complaining about too many delays, and the poor pampered players and their union are crying about too much injury time leading to more injuries, so making it worse can only lead to a major backlash and they know that
augie wrote:
TeeCee wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:17 pm
PGMOL, PL and FA are meeting this week I think to discuss expanding VAR to cover all free kicks, second yellow cards and other things. Games will be 2 hours long!!

I think this could end up needing all fans to boycott going to matches unless they bin VAR. It's probably the only thing that will stop it now.

When I read that this morning the first thing that popped into my head is that Steve O is correct and that they are doing this to ensure a fan backlash to get rid of var - even as things stand fans are complaining about too many delays, and the poor pampered players and their union are crying about too much injury time leading to more injuries, so making it worse can only lead to a major backlash and they know that
Tbh I still do not buy SteveO's conspiracy theory because like most conspiracy theories it relies on too many people being involved and yet none of them go public and say "hey hang on, we are deliberately doing whatever etc blah blah".

But more importantly I DONT FUCKING CARE WHO OR WHAT WANTS TO GET RID OF IT. It has to go. It has fucking ruined football as a spectator sport.

The biggest joy in football used to be that sudden elation and adrenaline rush of a goal being scored. That instant. That is fucking gone now. To be replaced with a wait while some statto virgin in a fucking caravan miles away desperately tries to find a reason to disallow the goal. Fuck off. :censored:

FUCK VAR DEAD. :censored: :box:
I know I’m gonna need my tin hat for this,and it’s purely as an ex football fan,but imagine that Macho Camacho goal Sunday was disallowed,imagine VAR meddling into some of the greatest moments in the game,imagine May ‘89 at Anfield with VAR,that moment of extasy being wiped out 4 minutes later by some c unt who never played the game in a caravan somewhere,

I think seriously SKY and TNT love this though,it means they can have “ref watch” and not have to fill 2 hours of their day with more shit,football is over,it’s finished,and if this sin bin bollocks comes in then I hope fans Jack their season tickets in nationwide and support non league football with no VAR.

Football should have never been touched,the rules on Hackney Marshes should be the exact same rules as in the World Cup final,1 referee,2 Lino’s and you live with the human error (as annoying as that is) simple’s as that. :banghead: :banghead:
If we had VAR we would have won the Champions League in Paris.
In what way, Bob? If you mean the sending off then I don't think so. I spoke to a referee at a beano in London a few years after it and he explained that the rule at the time was ref's discretion - he could have sent the stupid Lehmann cùnt off and awarded the goal but punished us lighter with the sending off and the penno.

In reality we would have won it if Henry hadn't done his usual bottlejob in a final and if Lehmann hadn't played at all - the thick cùnt he was.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I'm famous! Well hardly :lol: my post is on sky Sports, they were asking what's the worst var decision you've seen....I said Lee Mason 'forgetting' to draw lines v Brentford
:barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:58 pm
I'm famous! Well hardly :lol: my post is on sky Sports, they were asking what's the worst var decision you've seen....I said Lee Mason 'forgetting' to draw lines v Brentford
:barscarf: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

TeeCee wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:58 pm
Yaaaaaaaaaaay! Nice One TeeCee :barscarf: :hail: :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Surprisingly Merson just had a 100% bang on rant about VAR being shit and that the FA should fuck off with this proposed sin bin fucking bollocks. 8)

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:47 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

augie wrote:

Tbh I still do not buy SteveO's conspiracy theory because like most conspiracy theories it relies on too many people being involved and yet none of them go public and say "hey hang on, we are deliberately doing whatever etc blah blah".

But more importantly I DONT FUCKING CARE WHO OR WHAT WANTS TO GET RID OF IT. It has to go. It has fucking ruined football as a spectator sport.

The biggest joy in football used to be that sudden elation and adrenaline rush of a goal being scored. That instant. That is fucking gone now. To be replaced with a wait while some statto virgin in a fucking caravan miles away desperately tries to find a reason to disallow the goal. Fuck off. :censored:

I know I’m gonna need my tin hat for this,and it’s purely as an ex football fan,but imagine that Macho Camacho goal Sunday was disallowed,imagine VAR meddling into some of the greatest moments in the game,imagine May ‘89 at Anfield with VAR,that moment of extasy being wiped out 4 minutes later by some c unt who never played the game in a caravan somewhere,

I think seriously SKY and TNT love this though,it means they can have “ref watch” and not have to fill 2 hours of their day with more shit,football is over,it’s finished,and if this sin bin bollocks comes in then I hope fans Jack their season tickets in nationwide and support non league football with no VAR.

Football should have never been touched,the rules on Hackney Marshes should be the exact same rules as in the World Cup final,1 referee,2 Lino’s and you live with the human error (as annoying as that is) simple’s as that. :banghead: :banghead:
In what way, Bob? If you mean the sending off then I don't think so. I spoke to a referee at a beano in London a few years after it and he explained that the rule at the time was ref's discretion - he could have sent the stupid Lehmann cùnt off and awarded the goal but punished us lighter with the sending off and the penno.

In reality we would have won it if Henry hadn't done his usual bottlejob in a final and if Lehmann hadn't played at all - the thick cùnt he was.
Both of Barca’s goals were offside.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:20 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:47 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Both of Barca’s goals were offside.
The second one deffo and very clearly too. Was never 100% sure on the first tbh.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:03 pm
Worth a Gander.

https://dailycannon.com/2023/02/arsenal-referees-var/
That link keeps auto-redirecting to other websites. :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:16 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:03 pm
Worth a Gander.

https://dailycannon.com/2023/02/arsenal-referees-var/
That link keeps auto-redirecting to other websites. :|
Sorry mate....I think I cut & pasted it wrong. :oops:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Yeah dodgy link OBG, I just got a screen full of cock and arse, I think you must have had it on your clipboard when you thought you pasted the other link for footy! :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:43 pm
Yeah dodgy link OBG, I just got a screen full of cock and arse, I think you must have had it on your clipboard when you thought you pasted the other link for footy! :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: