Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:34 pm
In my view we have lost the league due to one man. Zinchenko. Cost us 6 points vs Villa. Got raped for their goal in the away game. Similarly made the whole team and stadium shit themselves at home. If we simply draw both games we win the league. Bloke’s a total c unt. It’s no coincidence we have righted the ship since he was dropped a few games ago. Total fucking liability.
Indeed - also throw in the games we lost over Xmas to Fulham and West Ham. Nketiah starts up front at Fulham, the non scoring Jesus against West Ham. The goals flowed once Havertz when up top.

Two areas have cost us - CliveChenko and the two mugs pretending to be centre forwards. Think most of us called those areas at the start of the season

Indeed we did which is why all this praise of the cone boy needs to be reassessed - those glaring problems were obvious last summer and he done nothing to fix them, and that is woeful mis-management imo. Even havertz critics (such as myself) will acknowledge that he is a much better option than the non scoring jesus, but fcuk me that is a low bar to be setting cos havertz will never score the goals to win us a league

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:59 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:34 pm
In my view we have lost the league due to one man. Zinchenko. Cost us 6 points vs Villa. Got raped for their goal in the away game. Similarly made the whole team and stadium shit themselves at home. If we simply draw both games we win the league. Bloke’s a total c unt. It’s no coincidence we have righted the ship since he was dropped a few games ago. Total fucking liability.
Indeed - also throw in the games we lost over Xmas to Fulham and West Ham. Nketiah starts up front at Fulham, the non scoring Jesus against West Ham. The goals flowed once Havertz when up top.

Two areas have cost us - CliveChenko and the two mugs pretending to be centre forwards. Think most of us called those areas at the start of the season

Indeed we did which is why all this praise of the cone boy needs to be reassessed - those glaring problems were obvious last summer and he done nothing to fix them, and that is woeful mis-management imo. Even havertz critics (such as myself) will acknowledge that he is a much better option than the non scoring jesus, but fcuk me that is a low bar to be setting cos havertz will never score the goals to win us a league
You know one of the myths I hated for ages was this notion he has somehow swept all the dead wood out of the door, and Emery didn't......despite the fact Emery moved on double the number of players in his 16 months than Arteta did over a longer period. The likes of Ozil were bought out of contracts owing to their political views not sitting comfortably with the club. Look at the squad now - Cedric, Vieira, Elneny, Nketiah, Nelson, Smith Rowe, Ramsdale, Tierney, Tavares, Lokonga - there is still plenty of it floating around, and god knows how much the combined wages of that little lot come too (and do we believe the loan clubs are footing all of the bill for the last 3 ?). Insiders would say we are reasonably close to our FFP levels and it was that factor preventing us from signing a top grade striker, which ultimately might be the small difference between winners and honourable second. I'm guessing those players combined are pulling somewhere between £750k and £1m per week out of this club and regardless of how we might feel about them personally, they are bit part players who struggle to be moved on....in most cases owing to the excessive wages they are on. That's before we get to Zinchenko and Jesus who simply aren't good enough - rejects of the club who will most likely win the title. Those two must both be on £100k+ each too.

Getting closer but these are the details that could be the difference in the fine margin latter stages of the PL and CL

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:33 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:21 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 am
16 clean sheets. Next highest is Everton with 11. Fewest goals conceded in the league.

Arteta isnt a 'proper manager' though, so imagine our defensive record if we got a 'proper manager'.

Ill telling you know, if Arteta goes, he takes our defensive prowess with him.

New contract for Arteta priority number 1 this transfer window.
Anyone who thinks he hasn't done a decent job is kidding themselves. I was up there with his biggest critics and would admit he has done far better than I could have imagined. Yes it has taken a lot of investment but these days it always will.

My remaining question is whether he can instill the final winning mentality piece that Lord Cuntface made sure left the building about 15 years ago along with most of our winning mentality players. Games like today will tell us. Our early Wenger teams would go into their rabied cesspit faced with their fervent mongs hanging effigies of Campbell and pelting the team coach, and turn them over. It didn't get more hostile than that and the stakes were just as high. Players like Lauren, Vieira, Gilberto etc didn't give a fuck about their pricks trying to put us off our game. These boys today face the same. Do they have that steely inner belief? We are a better team without a doubt. As you say yourself - best defence plus we've scored the most goals

So for me a manager doing a very good job faced with the challenges that separate very good with excellent. Apart from maybe 2 positions in the squad he doesn't need much else - the rest is down to mentality
yeah cant argue with much of that, we are better in games we would have melted in and playing good stuff, even if we collapse now, (caused by the inevitably and pointlessness of hoping city slip up which i cant see now), the only issue i have are the use of favorites, imagine zinchenko in todays game! and jesus to an extent (but they didn't play so hopefully hes learning) and the lack of depth are issues for me and in game management, along with the lack of striker and gk situation. sort those out and a new LB and some squad depth and a more reliable CM partner for rice and we are good enough to beat city.

So, you can't argue with much of that Mantis, other than:

Playing favourites like Zinchenko and Jesus.
In-game management.
Need a striker.
Need a GK.
Need a LB.
Need a new CM.
Lack of squad depth generally.

Not much wrong then. :barscarf: :barscarf:

:lol: :lol: Sorry mate, Rarely pick you up on your posts, but that made me laugh.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:47 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
16 clean sheets. Next highest is Everton with 11. Fewest goals conceded in the league.

Arteta isnt a 'proper manager' though, so imagine our defensive record if we got a 'proper manager'.

Anyone who thinks he hasn't done a decent job is kidding themselves. I was up there with his biggest critics and would admit he has done far better than I could have imagined. Yes it has taken a lot of investment but these days it always will.

My remaining question is whether he can instill the final winning mentality piece that Lord Cuntface made sure left the building about 15 years ago along with most of our winning mentality players. Games like today will tell us. Our early Wenger teams would go into their rabied cesspit faced with their fervent mongs hanging effigies of Campbell and pelting the team coach, and turn them over. It didn't get more hostile than that and the stakes were just as high. Players like Lauren, Vieira, Gilberto etc didn't give a fuck about their pricks trying to put us off our game. These boys today face the same. Do they have that steely inner belief? We are a better team without a doubt. As you say yourself - best defence plus we've scored the most goals

So for me a manager doing a very good job faced with the challenges that separate very good with excellent. Apart from maybe 2 positions in the squad he doesn't need much else - the rest is down to mentality
yeah cant argue with much of that, we are better in games we would have melted in and playing good stuff, even if we collapse now, (caused by the inevitably and pointlessness of hoping city slip up which i cant see now), the only issue i have are the use of favorites, imagine zinchenko in todays game! and jesus to an extent (but they didn't play so hopefully hes learning) and the lack of depth are issues for me and in game management, along with the lack of striker and gk situation. sort those out and a new LB and some squad depth and a more reliable CM partner for rice and we are good enough to beat city.

In-game management.
Need a striker.
Need a GK.
Need a LB.
Need a new CM.

:lol: :lol: Sorry mate, Rarely pick you up on your posts, but that made me laugh.
No no Retro it's a fair cop

I was posting I the euphoria and relief of beating thus spunkbubbles.

I think those issues can be solved in the summer of we are efficient. Yes they have persisted for a while, some of them, but hope is he's learning...

700m aside..! we are not a laughing stock any more, are a match for the best teams more consistently (Europe I think we need more experince of but we have never apart from gg been a force in europe and punched below our weight theougtout the wenger years which is a travesty), and seem to be contenders again.

The playing style has picked up as a hybrid of last season lack of control but entertaining to the turgid shit of this early season and seems to be a happy medium this calendar year.

Yes the issues are not new but he seems to be addressing some. Fcking off Jesus, zinchenko and viera would be a start for me and surely he must sign lb striker and another cm at the least.

Last season Jesus and at times zinchenko were hailed as improving us. Now it's apparent we have got better than those 2 so they should be mugged off but I don't think necessarily people were saying that in the summer (other than Jesus as THE striker, not as a squad member).

I didn't rate Jesus as a striker (and no one did) but thought he had a role to play and was a good option, now I want him gone. For example. Zinchenko, I along with augie said he was shite when signed, then retracted as he had a decent spell before reverting to utter ahite again this season.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:39 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

In-game management.
Need a striker.
Need a GK.
Need a LB.
Need a new CM.

I think those issues can be solved in the summer of we are efficient. Yes they have persisted for a while, some of them, but hope is he's learning...

700m aside..! we are not a laughing stock any more, are a match for the best teams more consistently (Europe I think we need more experince of but we have never apart from gg been a force in europe and punched below our weight theougtout the wenger years which is a travesty), and seem to be contenders again.

The playing style has picked up as a hybrid of last season lack of control but entertaining to the turgid shit of this early season and seems to be a happy medium this calendar year.

Yes the issues are not new but he seems to be addressing some. Fcking off Jesus, zinchenko and viera would be a start for me and surely he must sign lb striker and another cm at the least.

Last season Jesus and at times zinchenko were hailed as improving us. Now it's apparent we have got better than those 2 so they should be mugged off but I don't think necessarily people were saying that in the summer (other than Jesus as THE striker, not as a squad member).

I didn't rate Jesus as a striker (and no one did) but thought he had a role to play and was a good option, now I want him gone. For example. Zinchenko, I along with augie said he was shite when signed, then retracted as he had a decent spell before reverting to utter ahite again this season.

I think I'd pretty much agree with all of that. You're right that the acid test is what he does this summer. He's a year late in adding the striker that we desperately need...well, far more than a year, but ok, he thought Jesus was the answer, even though plenty of us on here didn't....but there can be no excuses this time round. Similarly, we need a top notch CM to replace an ageing and often suspect Jorginho and a Partey that should have been sold last summer.

While I think that he'll add the CM, my fear is that he'll convince himself that Havertz is good enough to be our number 9. That would be a huge mistake imo and I hope he sees sense.

I also think that we desperately need a top keeper, because both of ours are 2nd rate, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I've no doubt that he'll take the option to buy Raya. Couldn't believe the way he was hugging him and laughing at full time yesterday, when he should have been kicking him up the arse. Some on here have said that the mistake is the price you pay for telling your keeper to play out, but fuck me, surely he's not expected to try chipping the ball over an opposition player who's just outside the box with a free shot on goal if he fucks up. It's not unusual for Raya to kick long, so he obviously has licence to make the decision and he made a hell of a wrong one yesterday.

augie

Post by augie »

I will almost stake my nuts on a bet that top of the cone boy's wish list will be a new winger - tbh I'm sick of hearing crap about needing cover for saka ( :roll: ) cos the man could have prime overmars and pires in the squad and he will start start saka in 99% of games anyway :roll: Reality is that we have martinelli and trossard to fill the wing spots if saka needs a rest, and if either of those is unavailable then he can put the non scoring jesus out there either, but all season long the cone boy has adopted a policy of its either martinelli or trossard but not both, and even lately he has left both on bench and played jesus on the left wing so saka still starts :roll: :evil: We DONT NEED another winger unless he sells off one of the four I have mentioned there, but imo nelson will move on and the cone boy will use that as an excuse to buy another winger, and it also wouldnt shock me if he sells martinelli if a good offer comes in, but I think that would be a massive mistake

the playing mantis

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:32 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

In-game management.
Need a striker.
Need a GK.
Need a LB.
Need a new CM.

I think I'd pretty much agree with all of that. You're right that the acid test is what he does this summer. He's a year late in adding the striker that we desperately need...well, far more than a year, but ok, he thought Jesus was the answer, even though plenty of us on here didn't....but there can be no excuses this time round. Similarly, we need a top notch CM to replace an ageing and often suspect Jorginho and a Partey that should have been sold last summer.

While I think that he'll add the CM, my fear is that he'll convince himself that Havertz is good enough to be our number 9. That would be a huge mistake imo and I hope he sees sense.

I also think that we desperately need a top keeper, because both of ours are 2nd rate, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I've no doubt that he'll take the option to buy Raya. Couldn't believe the way he was hugging him and laughing at full time yesterday, when he should have been kicking him up the arse. Some on here have said that the mistake is the price you pay for telling your keeper to play out, but fuck me, surely he's not expected to try chipping the ball over an opposition player who's just outside the box with a free shot on goal if he fucks up. It's not unusual for Raya to kick long, so he obviously has licence to make the decision and he made a hell of a wrong one yesterday.
I agreed else re. keeper neither good enough but raya is better than ramsdale I reckon. Also think the loan is not a true loan in that bit was only done for ffp. Doubt any option to send back. But then i also have no clue who is a good keeper now in Europe, there's not many standouts...similar to striker situation, but we come from a lower base so more strikers would improve us imo than keepers available. But we need both.

I can see why arteta hugged him after game or whatever. Tbf he was calm and solid after the brain fact,claiming crosses safely that I doubt rambo would have. I also think he calms the defence more than adhd rambo, but hugging him was probably to boost his confidence...last thing we need is raya becoming a bag of nerves for the last 3 games that could potentially happen if bolloxed for the brain fart. A quiet word and public shownof faith possibly thr best option to avoid that??? Maybe I'm naive!

If he doesn't make the signings we know are needed then he's digging his own grave in the credit stakes and simply repeating the wenger years if being 2 to 3 players away always.

the playing mantis

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:01 pm
I will almost stake my nuts on a bet that top of the cone boy's wish list will be a new winger - tbh I'm sick of hearing crap about needing cover for saka ( :roll: ) cos the man could have prime overmars and pires in the squad and he will start start saka in 99% of games anyway :roll: Reality is that we have martinelli and trossard to fill the wing spots if saka needs a rest, and if either of those is unavailable then he can put the non scoring jesus out there either, but all season long the cone boy has adopted a policy of its either martinelli or trossard but not both, and even lately he has left both on bench and played jesus on the left wing so saka still starts :roll: :evil: We DONT NEED another winger unless he sells off one of the four I have mentioned there, but imo nelson will move on and the cone boy will use that as an excuse to buy another winger, and it also wouldnt shock me if he sells martinelli if a good offer comes in, but I think that would be a massive mistake

I would have agreed with you but martinelli has been crap most of the season. I fear he's reached a ceiling. Big year for him next season.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:32 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

In-game management.
Need a striker.
Need a GK.
Need a LB.
Need a new CM.

I agreed else re. keeper neither good enough but raya is better than ramsdale I reckon. Also think the loan is not a true loan in that bit was only done for ffp. Doubt any option to send back. But then i also have no clue who is a good keeper now in Europe, there's not many standouts...similar to striker situation, but we come from a lower base so more strikers would improve us imo than keepers available. But we need both.

I can see why arteta hugged him after game or whatever. Tbf he was calm and solid after the brain fact,claiming crosses safely that I doubt rambo would have. I also think he calms the defence more than adhd rambo, but hugging him was probably to boost his confidence...last thing we need is raya becoming a bag of nerves for the last 3 games that could potentially happen if bolloxed for the brain fart. A quiet word and public shownof faith possibly thr best option to avoid that??? Maybe I'm naive!

If he doesn't make the signings we know are needed then he's digging his own grave in the credit stakes and simply repeating the wenger years if being 2 to 3 players away always.

I agree that Raya is probably first choice of the two we have and he’s definitely calmer and doesn’t alarm the defence like Ramsdale does. That was one of my complaints about Ramsdale, that he was too manic and chaotic, with the Pickford style shouting, and the demonstrative arm waving and chest thumping bollocks. On top of that, his keeping was flawed.

Maybe you’re right about the reaction from Arteta to Raya and I suppose I’m more GG and Alex Ferguson old school, but the hugging was over the top imo. You can put your arm round his shoulder, but still quietly tell him that it was a major blunder.

I’m resigned to seeing Raya in goal next season, so am more concerned with the striker and CM that we absolutely need. We’ll see.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:17 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:01 pm

I would have agreed with you but martinelli has been crap most of the season. I fear he's reached a ceiling. Big year for him next season.

I’m with augie on the Martinelli question, but I’ve been a huge of the boy since I first saw him, so I’m biased. For me, he’s simply too good to let go, especially after one average season, but I also wonder if the cavalier attitude has been drummed out of him. His natural game was to take on the defender and very often get to the byline, but he now stops, turns back and lays the ball off. Wenger used to have the same approach with wingers, certainly in the second half of his reign.

Where I differ from augie is that I’d buy Neto if we could get him, simply because he is every bit as good as the three we have and possibly better than all of them.

That said, the striker and crentre mid MUST come first.

the playing mantis

Don't disagree but what if he's shit next year?

Ps stop grooming me :shock:

Edit Cos of phone typing...

the playing mantis

Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:07 pm

All thsi agreeing...

:lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

All thsi agreeing...

Yes, far too much agreeing going on and it’s a concern. Must be getting soft.

DB will be on to ban us for not adhering to the spiteful and vitriolic disagreement which is mandatory in the OG’s rules and regs.

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:50 am
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

All thsi agreeing...

Yes, far too much agreeing going on and it’s a concern. Must be getting soft.

DB will be on to ban us for not adhering to the spiteful and vitriolic disagreement which is mandatory in the OG’s rules and regs.

:wink:

Everybody sing:

"Are you fiveto, are you fiveto, are you fivetothree in disguise?!"

:lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

In-game management.
Need a striker.
Need a GK.
Need a LB.
Need a new CM.

Agreed we need a New Bench... a Proper Old Sturdy Wooden One... Not one of these new fangled Heated Seats one's for the Prima Donna's. :D