Welcome Declan Rice

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Do you want Rice at Arsenal

Poll ended at Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:51 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27

OneBardGooner

Re: Welcome Declan Rice

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:00 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:20 pm
What a man, what a signing. Best transfer of the whole window. Proper leader, physically strong and unlike the Swiss c.unt who made way for him...free from brain farts. The timing of his tackling was immense today - did he actually concede a foul at all.

Going to be a top player for us for years

Very good performance and if he carries on like that, I'm sure that Augie, DB, me and a few others on here will overlook what he cost.

Mind you, regarding the bit in green, he sadly hasn't replaced the Swiss c.unt, the German dud has done that. :banghead:

Well, in one way he has, but in an other way he hasn't if you see what I mean? :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:21 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:00 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:20 pm
What a man, what a signing. Best transfer of the whole window. Proper leader, physically strong and unlike the Swiss c.unt who made way for him...free from brain farts. The timing of his tackling was immense today - did he actually concede a foul at all.

Going to be a top player for us for years

Very good performance and if he carries on like that, I'm sure that Augie, DB, me and a few others on here will overlook what he cost.

Mind you, regarding the bit in green, he sadly hasn't replaced the Swiss c.unt, the German dud has done that. :banghead:

Well, in one way he has, but in an other way he hasn't if you see what I mean? :wink:

Yep, sadly I see exactly what you mean. It's like a direct swap. :(

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:25 pm
RICE RICE BABY ! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

What a weekend of polar opposites it was for the two £100m+ DMs in the PL. Caicedo cocks up in midfield and gifts Forest 3 points, Rice absolute colossus in the absence of Partey, ran the show and deservedly opened his account deep in injury time.

I can't remember a big signing that has settled so quickly for us, already feels like part of the furniture. That certainly didn't happen with Henry and Bergkamp.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:24 pm
What a weekend of polar opposites it was for the two £100m+ DMs in the PL. Caicedo cocks up in midfield and gifts Forest 3 points, Rice absolute colossus in the absence of Partey, ran the show and deservedly opened his account deep in injury time.

I can't remember a big signing that has settled so quickly for us, already feels like part of the furniture. That certainly didn't happen with Henry and Bergkamp.
Bergkamp and Henry arrived from a completely different league

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:

Stop. Stop right there Nutty, ffs mate. :lol: :wink:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

nut flush gooner wrote:

Both were from other leagues!!

But I share your love of big Dec...captain in waiting and think will be a great signing. If only we played with 11 men.

Incidentally anyone know who got the armband when odergaard went off???

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:04 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:

But I share your love of big Dec...captain in waiting and think will be a great signing. If only we played with 11 men.

Think it was Jesus

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:17 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:

Think it was Jesus
Thanks mcd

nut flush gooner

nut flush gooner wrote:

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a slant at DB10 or TH14, we knew they were both great players before they came to us.

But give Declan a bit of credit, a big price tag to his name and he's settled a dream. And proof that £100m doesn't buy you guaranteed ready-made PL quality these days, look at Caicedo. That says a lot about the difference between Chelski and the way our club is run right now.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Also; and WTFK's... Perhaps Edu & Arteta were told they couldn't have both (Rice and Caicedo) so they had to choose and at the moment it appears they choose well.

Time Will Indeed Tell. :anyminute:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:00 am
nut flush gooner wrote:

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a slant at DB10 or TH14, we knew they were both great players before they came to us.

But give Declan a bit of credit, a big price tag to his name and he's settled a dream. And proof that £100m doesn't buy you guaranteed ready-made PL quality these days, look at Caicedo. That says a lot about the difference between Chelski and the way our club is run right now.
Yes I think Rice is a good signing but look we are a club that bought Havertz from them.
We have contributed £65 million towards them buying Caicedo - which makes their punt on him a bit less of a gamble.

We got lucky against United - if we keep getting the points then fair enough, but for now we are not title contenders the way we are playing.

nut flush gooner

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:21 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Yes I think Rice is a good signing but look we are a club that bought Havertz from them.
We have contributed £65 million towards them buying Caicedo - which makes their punt on him a bit less of a gamble.

We got lucky against United - if we keep getting the points then fair enough, but for now we are not title contenders the way we are playing.
We aren't talking about Havertz? It was Rice's intelligence that made him realise he would be a spare man beyond the far post, doesn't matter if that happens in the 30th or 90th minute, you start repaying your big transfer fee when you are a game changer like he is.

With regards to title challengers. Tell me another club who are? Apart from City, we are the closest. Not playing well and picked up 10 points.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:47 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

We aren't talking about Havertz? It was Rice's intelligence that made him realise he would be a spare man beyond the far post, doesn't matter if that happens in the 30th or 90th minute, you start repaying your big transfer fee when you are a game changer like he is.

With regards to title challengers. Tell me another club who are? Apart from City, we are the closest. Not playing well and picked up 10 points.

Far too early. End of October will be the time to make a clearer judgement.

nut flush gooner

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:31 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:47 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Far too early. End of October will be the time to make a clearer judgement.
Let's be honest, and as much as I hate to say this City is in a league of its own. I totally don't agree with the methods they used to get there, but it's up to the rest of the big clubs to catch up. We are at the front of the queue to usurp them.

Going back to Rice, how much is he worth now, in years gone by not having Partey fit for Sunday's game would have been a big problem for us. Declan bossed the game.