A little bit of analysis.....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SPUDMASHER

A little bit of analysis.....

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Okay, we did fairly well this season but nobody can deny that the last month or so has resulted in a major disappointment for us. At the beggining of the season I have to confess that I was concerned about where we would finish as the general opinion was that we would struggle this term. To have finished third, only 4 points away from the champions, is not bad and although it will never be enough for some of us I take consolation in the knowledge that for some teams it will never happen (mentioning no names from N17).
So where did those points go?
We dropped 31 points this season. 21 away from home and 10 at home. One of the things that has always frustrated me about Arsenal is that we invariably do well against the other contenders but shite against the basement teams. This year however it was not really the case at all.

18 of 31 points were dropped to teams in the top 8 of the division.
4 of 31 points were dropped to teams in the bottom 6. (only one team)

at home
4 of 10 were dropped to teams from the North West (M Utd,Liv)
4 of 10 from the Midlands (Villa, Bham)
2 of 10 from the North East (Boro)

on our travels
9 of 21 points were dropped in the North West (M Utd,Liv,BBurn,Wig)
5 of 21 in the North East (Newc,Boro)
3 of 21 in London (Chavs)
2 of 21 in the Midlands (Bham)
2 of 21 on the South Coast (Pomp)

The fact that we dropped four points against a team that has been relegated is probably the biggest disappointment for me. Okay, those four points would not have been enough (with Manures goal difference) but they would have got us automatic qualification for next years CL.

Our problems seem to begin when we head toward the North West of the country. More than a third of our points were lost up there and for me, understanding why is the key to our success next year. Sure, Manure is a hard place to go. They are a technically superb team and Liverpool is never an easy place to win either, but we should not be dropping points against Blackburn and Wigan!

I don't know the answer but I think Mr Wenger needs to look at that and find the cure. If he can, then next May will be a much happier time for all of us!