Never has there been more uncertainty around Arsenal (25/6)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Never has there been more uncertainty around Arsenal (25/6)

Post by gooner.ed »

http://www.onlinegooner.com/blog/index.php?id=59

and never have there been so many websites looking for material on the club to justify their existence! Just to answer some of the issues raised by Graham…

Do we have a replacement for Gary Lewin?
Word is that his brother is actually a better physio! And we’ve signed the bloke from Norwich.

How many purchasers of the Highbury apartments are failing to complete?
So far none, as there is no completion required until the flats are ready for habitation. If they don’t complete, they lose their deposit. So if the club sell at 10% off (assuming that was the deposit) they still make their money. The only real question about the development is exactly how much profit the club make. But even if prices have to come down, they will still make a lot

Is Keswick the new power man?
No. But maybe the new chairman if PHW cannot continue for health reasons. Fiszman is the man in power and has been since the appointment of Edelman. Smart cookie to boot. Don’t underestimate him. He realized Edelman had served his time and acted.

When will Lady Nina break ranks?
Once Stan has settled into the board, Lady Nina’s shares will be offered to him, assuming she wishes to cash in.

Has Kroenke joined the Board in vain attempt to bolster the weakness of the Board?
Not joined yet, but it will not be a vain attempt. The Board will be stronger.

Are supporters falling prey to racial stereotyping about the ‘Ugly Usmanov’?
No, they just know a villain when they see one. Dein sold out to Usmanov because of two things – he needed money fast and he would only sell to someone who kept him in the frame as a future Arsenal chairman in the event of a hostile takeover. Dein wasn’t sacked lightly. He simply can’t be trusted. He and Usmanov deserve each other and will be dead in the water once Kroenke joins the Board. Good.

Graham Wilkinson

Post by Graham Wilkinson »

For the second time in 24 hours I find myself applauding Kevin for his common sense and sound analysis.

I can't say the same for the author of the piece.

i am not interested in board members' nationalities and would certainly never indulge in racial stereotyping. But can anyone supply a single bit of evidence to show that Usmanov has the best interests of the club, or its long term future, at heart?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Lots to discuss in that article!

THE PLAYERS

The media love to speculate on transfers during the summer, it helps sell papers and get website hits.

So far we do not know for sure that Adebayor or Hleb will leave.
if we do, then we replace them.
Adebayor would be a disapointment as he is on the ascendancy, but if he is motivated by money more than the chance to stay and develop in an an evironment where he is settled then so be it.
Hleb I would like to stay, but if he goes then it is not the end of the world. He barely scores.

CREDIT CRUNCH

I am worried by the falling property prices and how they will affect our transfer budget.
This is all out of the club's hands.
So far I have read that only two buyers of Highbury Square flats have pulled out of the deal (The Guardian).
I have no doubt the flats will all be sold, and that the club will be looking at other revenue streams too.
It is an area of worry though, in that other clubs spend a lot more, but whilst we have Wenger developing younger players better than other clubs do, it is ok.
We also have excellent training facilities for continued development of players.

THE BOARD

Sir Chips Keswick, Lady Nina Bracewell Smith and Lord Harris of Peckham joined in 2005, so their presence is not a sudden unsettling one.
Lady Nina manges her husband's interest as he is in poor health.
Lord Harris and Sir Chips have some financial accumen and helped with the loan arangements for the new stadium.

As for a new MD/CEO...why worry? It is not as if we can affect that and I am pleased the club are taking time to find one rather than rushing and grabbing at straws.

Edelman was the guy to preside over a belt tightening needed to ensure the new stadium costs did not spiral (look at Wembley!).
He was the right man for the right time.
Now a new era where we can think that on the pitch issues get some more focus will begin.

USMANOV

There maybe some predjudiced opposition to him based on nationality and religion, but I would guess that the majority of opposition to him is based on
He is NOT an Arsenal fan or perhaps even much of a football man.
Buying football clubs seems to be a new fashion for foreign billionaires. What happens when the fashion changes and they start buying small central American countries/planets (ok I am joking in my example but what would his long term intentions be, if any)?

From a rough approximation of opinions on this site, I think many fans would welcome the way forward as a genuine sports man like Kroenke as a board member, but not neccesarily a sale of the club.

Finances have been tight as a result of the new stadium, but it is now built. The sales of Highbury will bring in flow of cash in two to three years.
As each year progresses after that and the loans are paid off, we will be in an ever strenghtening position.

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

I accept Quartz's comment a few weeks ago, that the club shouldn't rush into appointing the new execs it says it needs (an MD to replace Edelman and a Finance Director, and that's ignoring the distant indication that a Director of Football would be recruited).

But it's now getting on for 3 months since Edleman was axed, and the delay in getting his replacement in is a real concern. Most of the time, we're distracted by summer transfer window nutiness, but I am worried about the continuing lack of anyone to do the hard bit of running the club, and supporting Wenger. Is the aged Ken Friar exepcted to do everything?

Perhaps it's all on hold while something with Kroenke is sorted out, but the current lack of movement just isn't good enough.

Danny, get it sorted, for all our sakes.

26may1989

Post by 26may1989 »

Seems I may have spoken too soon: Hill-Wood apparently said a new Arsenal Chief Exec would be announced next month. See the end of http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490.