Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

EssexGooner1981 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:00 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:50 pm
fuck that's nice mate.. The wood grain against the black REALLY Nice!

as to Guitar Teacher etc online... He does both Electric and Acoustic... a guy called JustinGuitar... Very Good Lessons.

https://www.justinguitar.com

You don't have to join & pay... as he does Loads of Free stuff on You Tube. 8)
I was at the guitar institute about 20 years ago in Acton and he was one of our teachers. Nice guy.

I remember he was doing one lesson on jazz chord substitution and how this particular different 9th chord a 4th up can be slotted in instead of this chord in your usual progression and why it works theoretically etc etc. It sounded so shit. So I put my hand up and asked him "Yeah, but why would you do that when it sounds so shit?" and he just laughed and was like, yeah mate, can't disagree. Haha
:lol: :lol:

Theory has its place but a lot of proponents of theory are music snobs.

I remember jamming with a bass player years ago who was a mate of a mate and every fucking riff or melody I played he'd play these shit diminished bass lines, and he kept asking me to try adding 11th or 13th notes to my two note distorted heavy metal chords. Yeah great it is theoretically correct but it sounds shit. Fucking twat. :roll: :lol:

EssexGooner1981

Post by EssexGooner1981 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 2:03 pm
EssexGooner1981 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:00 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:50 pm
fuck that's nice mate.. The wood grain against the black REALLY Nice!

as to Guitar Teacher etc online... He does both Electric and Acoustic... a guy called JustinGuitar... Very Good Lessons.

https://www.justinguitar.com

You don't have to join & pay... as he does Loads of Free stuff on You Tube. 8)
I was at the guitar institute about 20 years ago in Acton and he was one of our teachers. Nice guy.

I remember he was doing one lesson on jazz chord substitution and how this particular different 9th chord a 4th up can be slotted in instead of this chord in your usual progression and why it works theoretically etc etc. It sounded so shit. So I put my hand up and asked him "Yeah, but why would you do that when it sounds so shit?" and he just laughed and was like, yeah mate, can't disagree. Haha
:lol: :lol:

Theory has its place but a lot of proponents of theory are music snobs.

I remember jamming with a bass player years ago who was a mate of a mate and every fucking riff or melody I played he'd play these shit diminished bass lines, and he kept asking me to try adding 11th or 13th notes to my two note distorted heavy metal chords. Yeah great it is theoretically correct but it sounds shit. Fucking twat. :roll: :lol:
I mean I was probably a bit young back then and didn't see the benefit of just doing something different. My ears were expecting something but a different chord has been substituted and my ears weren't expecting that so I probably just recolied.

I now totally see the benefit of doing things out of the box, just so shit doesn't sound the same as it always has done. Whenever I hear bands that are good, but haven't done anything different to band X from 30 years ago I just kinda go "Meh, yeah it sounds good." And that's about it. You could have a band that sounds great and sounds just like Pantera......But then I can just go and put Pantera on and listen to them! :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I didn't know about this: Nicko McBrain drummer with Maiden suffered a stroke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVLZTjJbKxM

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:33 am
I didn't know about this: Nicko McBrain drummer with Maiden suffered a stroke...

Yeah I'd read it at the time and he's made a great recovery. Thank fuck it was a treatable clot rather than the Grand Mal seizure with stroke. My dad suffered that when he was 58 and just about survived it but was left paralysed on his left side.

He had a reasonably decent quality of life after though with my mom and my brothers and our wives and kids and me all looking after him when needed, but then 5 years later his fuckwad of a GP misdiagnosed cancer and by the time the hospital discovered it, it was too late. He died about 4 days after being finally fully diagnosed.

At least he had those 5 years retirement with his family and especially his grandkids.

Interesting footnote, his GP died of cancer about three or four years later. Useless cùnt. :censored:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:33 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:33 am

Yeah I'd read it at the time and he's made a great recovery. Thank fuck it was a treatable clot rather than the Grand Mal seizure with stroke. My dad suffered that when he was 58 and just about survived it but was left paralysed on his left side.

He had a reasonably decent quality of life after though with my mom and my brothers and our wives and kids and me all looking after him when needed, but then 5 years later his fuckwad of a GP misdiagnosed cancer and by the time the hospital discovered it, it was too late. He died about 4 days after being finally fully diagnosed.

At least he had those 5 years retirement with his family and especially his grandkids.

Interesting footnote, his GP died of cancer about three or four years later. Useless cùnt. :censored:
I am sorry to hear about that mate. Just as in all walks of life there are Good GP's and there are those c.unts who should never practice.

Re-assurring to know Karma played its part on the GP, not that it would have helped your dear Dad.