Anderlecht Away tix, travel, drinking etc..

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Re: Anderlecht Away tix, travel, drinking etc..

Post by clockender1 »

Gilles Grimandi wrote: So what are people's plans on getting in? Whats your plan of attack? Personally I will be going to the stadium and trying the home end first, there is usually a gateman that'll take a few Euro's, if that fails then head to the away end when it is at its busiest, (about 10 mins before KO) and try all the usual tricks :twisted:

GG
or try the newsagent or tabac in the main square. that seems to work in most of Europe - though at France '98 in Montpelier we were told to go to the local France Telecom office....which worked. 15 quid to see Dennis & Marc play Mexico 8)

Herd

Post by Herd »

Belgium Police have a long history of being twats dating back to 1980 when Arsenal took over 25,000 to the crumbling Heysel stadium .
They hate the English with a passion and particularly Arsenal after the events in 1980 at Heysel and in Winterslag the year after .
When we played standard in the 90's I remember them passing leaflets round saying that any Arsenal fan arriving in Liege before 5 pm would be arrested .
The ground though is out of town so those drinking in the center wont be affected !

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Herd wrote:Belgium Police have a long history of being twats dating back to 1980 when Arsenal took over 25,000 to the crumbling Heysel stadium .
They hate the English with a passion and particularly Arsenal after the events in 1980 at Heysel and in Winterslag the year after .
When we played standard in the 90's I remember them passing leaflets round saying that any Arsenal fan arriving in Liege before 5 pm would be arrested .
The ground though is out of town so those drinking in the center wont be affected !
So, it's all your fault mate.

:cussing: :roll: :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

It's a fair cop guv,but society was to blame ! :oops:

Mickey Cannon

Post by Mickey Cannon »

One poster suggested going to O Reillys bar, now whilst that may be a good pub to watch a game, please don't all go to an Irish bar and drink fosters, this is Belgium, the home of beers. If you go to the Delerium bar just 2 roads north of the main square,(Rui Fidelite) you can choose from 3000 different beers, yes 3000, not just 300.
Many bars will have 200 types or 400 types and are very cool places with beer menu's
If you do want to hang around the main square (grand place grote market), there is a nice bar in the south east corner (as you look north) that has a 5 beer sampler special, a great introduction to what can be on offer and you can sit outside and sing your hearts out

MC

Rocky Number Seven
Location: North Bank, Turnstile D, Block 7, Row 8, Seat 225 / Essex

Post by Rocky Number Seven »

Mickey Cannon wrote:One poster suggested going to O Reillys bar, now whilst that may be a good pub to watch a game, please don't all go to an Irish bar and drink fosters, this is Belgium, the home of beers. If you go to the Delerium bar just 2 roads north of the main square,(Rui Fidelite) you can choose from 3000 different beers, yes 3000, not just 300.
Many bars will have 200 types or 400 types and are very cool places with beer menu's
If you do want to hang around the main square (grand place grote market), there is a nice bar in the south east corner (as you look north) that has a 5 beer sampler special, a great introduction to what can be on offer and you can sit outside and sing your hearts out

MC
Hi Mickey It was me that quoted O'Reillys.The reason I suggested was because the last time I was over in May they didn't show football anywhere in the Delirium Village. Seeing as it looks like there are going to be quite a few travelling without tickets I assumed there would be plenty that would want to find somewhere to watch the game. Although they have the standard lagers over here they used to do specials on buckets of begium beers such as Vedette at decent prices.

That and also the fact I didnt want to mention Delirium as I've been when busy before and havent been able to get in so wanted to ensure I could get in and get through as much of the menu as possible :D

Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

Just a minute away from O'Reillys (shithole but it'll be absolutely rammed) is the Halles St Gery with a few decent bars, Le Roi des Belges and Café Central.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Rocky Number Seven wrote:
Mickey Cannon wrote:One poster suggested going to O Reillys bar, now whilst that may be a good pub to watch a game, please don't all go to an Irish bar and drink fosters, this is Belgium, the home of beers. If you go to the Delerium bar just 2 roads north of the main square,(Rui Fidelite) you can choose from 3000 different beers, yes 3000, not just 300.

MC
Hi Mickey It was me that quoted O'Reillys.The reason I suggested was because the last time I was over in May they didn't show football anywhere in the Delirium Village. Seeing as it looks like there are going to be quite a few travelling without tickets I assumed there would be plenty that would want to find somewhere to watch the game. Although they have the standard lagers over here they used to do specials on buckets of begium beers such as Vedette at decent prices.

That and also the fact I didnt want to mention Delirium as I've been when busy before and havent been able to get in so wanted to ensure I could get in and get through as much of the menu as possible :D
There's plenty of decent bars in Brussels if anyone wants to try them out.

Find a good guide and get hammered....after 2 drinks :cheers: :barmaid:

Herd

Post by Herd »

O' REILYS urgh thats by bourse and where every Belgium OB will be looking for you .
Better off as others said going elsewhere although Brussels is one fuck of a boring town with miserable fcukers for residents.
Beware of the wonderful Algerian/Morrocan chaps who will be out to mug and rob you as they do !

Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

Avoid the city centre. Brussels is quite spread out, Parvis de St Gilles has great bars, there's also a Moeder Lambic not far from there (beer list is unreal but you won't get all the dickheads you get in Delirium), Flagey and Bailli are also good for a drink.
Just saying like, but I'm a miserable fucker ;)

Herd

Post by Herd »

Fcuk me chips u live there , I feel for u .
Used to visit there a lot ,was good in the 80's around schuman area but kind of died in the 90's .
Haven't been through there since we thumped Liege 7-2 and then got thumped by them outside !
Ouch !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:O' REILYS urgh thats by bourse and where every Belgium OB will be looking for you .
Better off as others said going elsewhere although Brussels is one fuck of a boring town with miserable fcukers for residents.
Beware of the wonderful Algerian/Morrocan chaps who will be out to mug and rob you as they do !
:rubchin:

:wink:

arsenalmorris

Post by arsenalmorris »

Looks like i wont be getting a ticket either so will be in the pubs like so many others

Also do we have anyone on the forum who lived in Brussels / Belgium who i could PM or them PM me with some advice about trains over there as wanting to get to the Standard Liege vs Seville game on the Thursday evening while there

Herd

Post by Herd »

So I guess people didn't steer clear of the Bourse area , tear gas and Bottles all round !

I had one of my boys take this for you my armchair chums :D

No sign of any flip flops though !

O'neils of course !

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Herd wrote:So I guess people didn't steer clear of the Bourse area , tear gas and Bottles all round !

I had one of my boys take this for you my armchair chums :D

No sign of any flip flops though !

O'neils of course !
Got as good a right as any banner to be there, in my opinion. Represents an opinion of a group of fans. What's the difference between that and an Arsenal Slovenia banner or a banner praising a certain player?